Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
259 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 257

Ross, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Now that's odd...
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
Thanks guys... I've been reading a bit about the oil bath and it sounds like it's heavy duty even by today's standards. Being in the deserts of central Washington I guess I'd be prepared for dust storms and the next volcanic eruption!

Posted on: 2009/7/12 21:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some people enjoy working on their cars and maintaining them as was suggested by Packard, others don't enjoy that type of work and prefer instead modern "upgrades" or having others do the work for them. I'm of the former group, and each person needs to decide where they fit.

That said, the oil bath filters were a very large advance over the oiled mesh type and are quite effective, but probably not as effective as modern pleated paper filters. Packard generally recommended that the mesh-type be washed and re-oiled every 1000 miles with good reason and I suspect a lot of folks aren't particularly religious about that recommendation, but they should be as of course abrasive dust intake is a major cause of cylinder wall and ring wear.

I don't know just when oil bath filters became available on Packard, the earliest reference I have is in the 1934 Service Letters where it's identified as a new option. I've looked for one for decades to replace the oiled mesh filter on my 34 Eight, but never found one. I try to wash and reoil my 34 filter annually, the oil bath on my 56 Packard I do every other season.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 8:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just to note, when I changed my 51 from the mesh type to the oil bath type I picked up 1 mpg, from 16 to 17 in mixed rural/interstate driving. and yes my mesh was clean and oiled. I usually call those things bird strainers because that's about all they will keep out and are the reason so many straight eights show early upper cylinder wear.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 22:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
It's a matter of preference for each owner, but I have the wire type with no element. I'm having a K&N filter made to fit inside the housing.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 22:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved