Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 238

DaveJr, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Now that's odd...
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
It's a wonderful Saturday morning and I thought I'd go and address some other issues whilst I wait for parts to come in for my problems already mentioned. Well, good mornings can go bad. I already knew that someone lost the air cleaner assembly and that would have to be replaced but now there is apparently no oil filter either. I'm not entirely sure what the person who had this car previously was trying to do but that is certainly not going to prolong the life of the engine. I may even have larger problems... I don't know yet. The oil pressure gauge I was figuring to be broken but I may just have no oil pressure. But first thing's first. Any suggestions on where to find a replacement oil filter canister and or air cleaner assembly. I've seen the air cleaner in catalogs but the 'call to inquire' on price is not promising. And if anyone notices anything else missing in this picture please tell. I've had enough surprises for this week.

Attach file:

jpg  (98.80 KB)
1649_4a58e546d69ad.jpg 972X729 px

Posted on: 2009/7/11 14:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Now that's odd...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The oil filter is an option and I may have an air filter assembly.

Posted on: 2009/7/11 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
what about the support bracket that bolts to the driver side to support the big end of the 'cleaner?

Posted on: 2009/7/11 15:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
Wow! Seriously? Or are you pulling my leg? Optional oil filter? That sounds like silliness. That would open up a whole other realm of potential problems I suppose... for me. Turbopackman... if you have an air cleaner assembly that might work I'd definitely be interested. Let me know if it's a possibility. And thanks!

Posted on: 2009/7/11 15:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
I like your avatar! But in my case, if I had a similar avatar, the "HELP ME!" thought balloon would be coming from both the car and from me! LOL!

Posted on: 2009/7/11 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

rock_cousteau wrote:
Wow! Seriously? Or are you pulling my leg? Optional oil filter?

Nope, no legpulling. The oil filter was optional on the 288. Standard on the 356. Oil was relatively cheap and folks changed it often.

Quote:

greendragon wrote:
what about the support bracket that bolts to the driver side to support the big end of the 'cleaner?

If you get the long 'Oil Bath' over-engine unit then you'll need the bracket on the drivers side. I think most 288's had the air filter that mounted directly to the carburetor with a support bracket going to the head. The Oil Bath air cleaner would have been optional on the 288 (I think).

Edit: Here's an example of the type of air cleaner I'm referring to:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=952

Posted on: 2009/7/11 17:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ian
See User information
Hmmm... okay, so a lot of optional things going on here. How do you guys find out and retain all of this? Wait.. don't answer that. I think either setup would work in my case. Anything would function better than that little bobble that someone stuck on top of my carb. The bolts for the larger filter bracket are in the head... I just don't know if they have been used before or not. And yes, I actually thought about putting the 'Help Me' bubble to both the car and myself but then I realized that the car can be helped while I on the other hand am way beyond helping even by professionals!

Posted on: 2009/7/11 18:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Packard offered both types of air cleaners. The oil bath long over the head type was for the dry dusty climates and the element type for normal climates. I an parting a 50 with the 288 and could supply the oil filter and air cleaner if you are interested.
Thanks

Posted on: 2009/7/12 14:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard offered both types of air cleaners. The oil bath long over the head type was for the dry dusty climates and the element type for normal climates.

Not entirely true, it wasn't based on the climate. \In most cases the type of air filter was based on the car line and engine, often with the oil bath being available as an option.

Posted on: 2009/7/12 14:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Rock,
Looks like you have an air filter, albeit a modern one. As long as you replace it when it gets dirty, you should be OK for awhile until you can get a good deal on original equipment. My 53 Packard Clipper is a bit later but it is probably similar to yours as it came with two types of air filter. The standard was a wire mesh filter which you were supposed to keep wet with oil. The optional air filter was the oil bath unit. Everything I have read on these types of filters say that the wire mesh type was better than nothing but not very good, perhaps in part because people did not keep it oiled religiously. The oil bath kind was better than the wire mesh filter at keeping out impurities. So I would get the oil bath filter if you can. Currently, I have the wire mesh filter in my Packard but eventually I hope to get the oil bath filter.
Ken Dunning
kens53clip

Posted on: 2009/7/12 15:42
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved