Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
267 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 265

JWL, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel Pump Mounting Question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
I have rebuilt the fuel pump on my 53 Patrician and am missing one of the fiber washers that go between the pump and bolt head. I'm assuming that they act as both a gasket and a buffer since the pump casting holes are bigger than the bolts? Would thick cork gasket material be an acceptable substitute or do I need something a little tougher like rubber? Also anyone know the torque setting for the bolts?
Thanks

Posted on: 2009/7/13 9:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Pump Mounting Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
My '53 Clipper had steel bushings in there, I'd imagine that's what you'd need. Have no idea where you'd find them though. Torque specs wouldn't be that high, I'd imagine that "snug" with an 8" or so 9/16" wrench would be sufficient.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 10:18
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Just a bushing to take up the extra hole size, no fiber washers ect? I can make something on my lathe if thats all it is-Thanks

Posted on: 2009/7/13 10:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's all it was on both my '48 and my '53 fuel pumps, just a steel bushing in each bolt hole.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 11:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The bolts on my fuel pump tend to work loose and then oil leaks past the gasket. The bolts are drilled for safety wire and the 1941-47 Clipper Parts Book lists safety wire as a part number. I would recommend safety wiring the bolts after tightening them to prevent them working loose.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
We have had discussions on this topic in the past. The oversize holes in the fuel pump engine mounting flange are to accommodate insulating fiber sleeves. In addition to the sleeves an insulating fiber gasket was used between the pump and the engine, and insulating fiber washers under the cap screws. All sorts of stuff has been used instead of the proper insulating fiber parts. As clipper47 notes there was also a provision for safety wiring the cap screws. Does your car have a heat shield between the manifolds and the fuel pump? This was also part of the original equipment. Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 13:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Thanks-I don't have a heat shield, on my things to get list. What exactly were they trying to insulate the pump from with the sleeves and gasket, heat or vibrations? My mounting bolts are drilled for saftey wire, might there have been a problem with pumps falling off?
MikeG

Posted on: 2009/7/13 15:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The washers were to insulate the pump from heat to prevent vapour lock. The parts listed for the fuel pump include 11" of safety wire so my guess is that bolts working loose was a problem. I have never had a car where this was a problem except this Packard and I have never had another car that had drilled bolt heads either.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 18:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you want to machine some new ones, US Plastic Corp has the base old style solid phenolic rod.http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=79&product_id=17363 If you do a search for "phenolic" McMaster-Carr has phenolic flat washers and also some modern composite phenolic tubing type material already drilled.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
From what I have found out on the subject the fiber washers and spacers are to isolate the fuel pump from any source of heat to help prevent vapor lock. The need in this case for safety wire is due to the fact that the mounting bolts are tightened against a fiber washer without the use of a steel lock washer. The reason safety wire isn't used everywhere is because lock washers are used instead.

Yes, do safety wire the bolts on your fuel pump.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 20:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved