Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

steering shaft
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
Has anyone in this forum just replaced the steering wheel shaft. Mine is bent due to my forcing it when I converted my ultramatic to od. I was thinking I could replace the whole steering box and shaft by removing the steering wheel nut and pulling the gear box out the bottom. Upon looking at it I don't think this will work as the frame seems to be in the way. I think if I pull the box from the top, I will have to remove the power steering cylinder, the steering housing and all kinds of garbage. I just want to replace the shaft. Is there some way to get into the gear box and just disconnect the shaft, pull it out of gear box and replace it? Any insights are welcome.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 13:19
 Top  Print   

Re: steering shaft
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Do you have access to a lift? If not, then I'd say no, not very easily.

Posted on: 2009/7/13 13:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
Sorry, I have a correction to my post. Change power steering to read power brake master cylinder. I can get access to a lift. From what I can see, It looks like I will not be able to remove the steering gear box from the bottom unless I remove the steering wheel shaft first due to clearance from the frame. Which brings me to the question, How do I remove the steeing wheel shaft? How is it connected in the gear box?

Posted on: 2009/7/13 20:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Think you're looking at a project no matter which way you go. The suspension section of the 51-4 service manual gives a description of the procedure to remove the entire gear assyhttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5154/Suspension_XVI.pdf. The 55 will be very similar with just a few changes in the steps due to slightly different column.

To answer your question, once steering gear out, the shaft and worm are a single unit that comes out the bottom of gear box. Disassembly & removal is detailed in that section also or the suspension/steering section starting on page 14 of the 55 manual.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect16_Suspension_Steering.pdf

Posted on: 2009/7/13 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Personally, I'd source a '56 column and box to replace it, as it's a modern two piece unit with a rag joint, and should bolt right in. I have such a pair that I was thinking of using on my Speedster, but am thinking of going another route. PM me if you're interested.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 2:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
HH56, thanks for the info. The 54 information is so much better than the 55. Looks like a job that I have to do. I'm to old to do myself so I guess I'll have to farm it out.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 10:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
Turopackman,
Thanks for the information on the 56 steering gear. The thought entered my mind before. The problem is, it would almost be as much of a problem to replace as the 55. Would still have to remove the steering column etc to get the shaft out. The plus to the 56 is that I could remove the shaft without having to remove the gearbox.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 10:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved