Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Auctioneer Needs Help with a 1938 Packard
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
D Smith, please rest assured, none here take offense to your questions. You said yourself; you ask, we tell (to the best of our collective capability) !

Posted on: 2009/7/16 16:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
D Smith: I wans't offended by you asking your question. If I had been offended, I wouldn't have tried to answer your question.

The source that I got my answer from to answer your question I wasn't the author of. I purchased the book that information came from. What I purchased and the information that others have given you puts money in your pocket not mine or others.

I have no problem when private persons come in here and ask questions on value, but I do have problems when pro's do.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/7/16 20:32
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

D Smith
See User information
John,

The commission I make for selling this Packard wouldn't even buy me enough gas to drive home. I'm simply helping a very kind older gentleman with Leukemia retire.

I auction Restaurant Equipment for a living, not classic cars. Thanks for calling me a Pro though, I'll take that complement.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 7:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Our banner statement "The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners" says it all. Glad we were able to help!

Posted on: 2009/7/17 8:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
First, as 39Pickle notes, the car is(was) a Six, and the engine, or shall I say whats left of an engine, is definitely not from this car. That said, I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in and run away. The car is not restorable - it is simply and definitely a parts car only. I buy these frequently, and base my pricing mostly on what parts are good, how hard they will be to remove, and what cost I will have in transporting the hulk from its present location and to the scrapyard. Very few, if any, scrap dealers will pickup for free anymore, and when it comes to cars, sometimes they want paperwork. As for extracting this from where it has been sinking in for the last 50+ years, beware towing company extraction charges. IF there is any way to extract it and place it near a busy roadside, maybe some fool will come along with streetrod or restoration dreams and buy it for $500. Otherwise, in an auction situation, where from what I would guess from the surroundings, this will(might) only sell for scrap metal value. You might, on a good day get $200 for it, and I suspect less as the scrap weight without a cast iron engine/trans makes this peacefully resting hulk better left as continuing winter quarters for a raccoon family. Golden Weekend? No, more like Golden Arches.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 11:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Now available via the magic of Ebay for $7,500.00 or offer. Well, I must have missed something...better get it before it goes to Barrett-Jackson!

Posted on: 2009/7/17 13:44
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

D Smith
See User information
Quote:
Now available via the magic of Ebay for $7,500.00 or offer. Well, I must have missed something...better get it before it goes to Barrett-Jackson!

Yeah, no I definitely understand but the consignor sets the prices not me.

I told him exactly what I learned from posting on here and he said "It's easier to come down in price than up". I think if someone offered a fair price for it, he'd take it in a heartbeat....

I think he's crazy and I told him that, but either way I have a contract to sell the contents of his estate, so I don't have much choice here. He's a hilarious older gentleman, he'll come around I'm sure.

He wants $7500 for the 1938 Dodge D-5 in similar condition.

You'll see it either sell for a fraction of the asking price or re-listed with a reasonable buy it now. He's selling the property on which it sits, so it has to go either way.

I hope you did notice I hid "ANY offer considered!" in the subtitle of the listing :D

Posted on: 2009/7/17 14:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
IF there is any way to extract it and place it near a busy roadside, maybe some fool will come along with streetrod or restoration dreams and buy it for $500. Otherwise, in an auction situation, where from what I would guess from the surroundings, this will(might) only sell for scrap metal value. You might, on a good day get $200 for it, and I suspect less as the scrap weight without a cast iron engine/trans makes this peacefully resting hulk better left as continuing winter quarters for a raccoon family. Golden Weekend? No, more like Golden Arches.

My sentiments exactly. Too many people think that cars in this condition are worth a mint, and it's simply not so. IF he gets an offer over $500, I suggest he takes it and runs.

That being said, I like the auction for the Dodge, especially this part: "It definitely needs restoration and has been sitting in the woods since about 1990 I believe. However, in 1990 it received the following attention:

- New mains and rod bearings,
- New oil pump
- New fuel pump
- Rebuilt Carb
- New Coil
- New Wires, cap, rotor
- New undercoating, new rubber all around n
- New brakes with rebuilt master cylinder, new hardware, seals, drums, hoses

That being said, it was last driven September 1989."

Almost all of that will have to be redone anyway, from sitting so long, the brakes especially.

The Packard loses it's value to me immediately from the lack of the ID tag on the firewall. A car in similar condition to this at an auction I attended last year went for $35. I missed it, had to take a lunch break and by the time I got back it was sold, and the buyer wouldn't sell it. I will admit that the body was off the chassis, but it was as complete as that one.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 14:33
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

D Smith
See User information
@Turbopackman

I tried to put these up being as honest as I could. When I first attended auction school years ago we were always taught that the true value of something is what one person is willing to sell something for and another person is willing to pay for it.

I hope you guys feel free to make any offers you want on these vehicles ASSUMING they contain anything you need.

I would love to see someone from this community end up with the parts car they need to finish a project after the help you've provided me and the (mostly *cough* John *cough*) friendly feedback. ;)

Posted on: 2009/7/17 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
D Smith, I'm not trying to be rude and mean, and I agree something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Heck, I've seen cheap Chinese tools bring more at auction than a good quality Snap On equivalent, all because two idiots with more money than brains got into a bidding war. I hope this is what happens with these cars, and you guy's make a windfall. I doubt that will happen, and just wanted to warn you and your client to be prepared that you may find yourselves highly disappointed, especially in today's economy.

Good luck to your auction, I won't be bidding as there's nothing from it I need, but I put both the Packard and the Dodge on watch because I'm curious to see how they end.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 15:20
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved