Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 192

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Valve lash cold on 288 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I set them cold at .010 and .013. Then I do final adjustment running. I like to do it when it's cold outside. Then I use leather gloves and welding sleeves. It can still get hot.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 20:36
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, It is even harder on RHD cars with the steering column in the way as well as the manifold, Even worse still on pre war with sidemounts. I set at .008 and .012 with a cold engine. I prefer to set to 12 thou to give the exhaust valve a few extra microseconds on the seat for cooling purposes. I recheck with engine hot and stopped. I check valves with engine in firing position and one revolution from. There is a listing of how to set all of the valves of a straight Eight, in these two positions, in most of the Motor or Chilton's as Owen mentioned. I can detail in this post if you are unable to find the list. I also find that the valve train is very quiet even if the clearances are a few thou from factory specs so long as they are of consistent clearance, that is, the valve train will be noisy if one valve has a few thou more or less than another. You then should check with the engine running and a single feeler to find the noisy valve. Tappet spanners are thin and long enough to use three at a time without much trouble. It is not as difficult once you have done it a few times. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2009/7/22 1:10
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Checque inner fender skirt to see if some previous mechanic has cut a long access hole in it and then covered it with a piece of sheet metal and screws. THis method was often used in service during the period

I'm not sure what the thaermal dynamics are on this engine but when setting them cold it mite be a good idea to set them .003 looser than hot spec. Then run the engine for a test. Better too loose than too tite. Most likely, as the engine gets hot the length of the valve increases (diminishing lash) but very little to no increase in block height.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 8:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Thanks to everyone who gave me good advice. The valve adjustment was very quick and easy because of the following "improvements" over the factory method:
1. Mechanic sat on a stool under the right fender with the car hoisted to a convenient position.
2. Engine was cold. we used .009 on intakes and .015 on the exhaust valves to compensate for thermal expansion, based on hot vs cold settings for a Hudson flathead engine.
3. Right side removable access panel, right front wheel, exhaust system, radiator, cylinder head, fuel pump, and crankcase breather are all removed from the car.
4. I helped the mechanic by cranking the engine to TDC, watching which valves open, and telling him what cylinder to adjust. We ran the entire process twice to be sure.

The entire adjustment process took only about 30 minutes! However tearing the car apart for access and putting it back together is about a 2 week job!!! I hope I do not need frequent valve adjustments.

Thanks again Packard owners.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
wAIT A MINUTE!!!! was there an EXISTING access hole cut in the inner fender panel or did u have to cut a new one????

Posted on: 2009/7/23 13:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I know all the 51-54s have a removable inner fender access panel on the passenger side so you can access the valve covers. Just need to remove to passenger tire. I would imagine that previous years have something similar.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 13:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
thnx for the update Kev.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 14:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The '50 has a two-piece splasher panel. Not a huge job to remove them but there is no access panel as such. Biggest problem I had was that most of the bolts were severely rusted due to the location causing exposure to water/snow/ice/salt etc. Replaced over half of them. The location of the ventilation tubes over the tire, under the fender doesn't help access any.

Posted on: 2009/7/23 17:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
My 1950 Packard has a removable panel in the fender splash panel that allows access to the valves through the right front wheel well. That panel was difficult to remove mainly because it interfered with the manifolds, heater, and power booster. The bolts were not too bad to remove because this is a California car. The right front wheel had to be removed also. Now that I have everything off the engine I can figure out how to remove the access panel with less effort, probably by first removing the power brake booster bracket.

Without that access panel a mechanic would have to use drastic means such as cutting a hole in the fender splash shield. I have seen that technique used on other side-valve engine cars not as well designed as the Packard.

Posted on: 2009/7/24 11:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved