Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel line
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
What is a good solvent to use to clean out 5/16" steel fuel line between pump and tank.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel line
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Anything that's a solvent for gas residue and gum and doesn't leave a residue would be fine, like isopropanol (aka rubbing alcohol, dry gas or isopropyl alcohol), also methyl alcohol would be good. I suppose "brake kleen" or lacquer thinner could be use as well, but I'd prefer the alcohols.

EDIT - after reading PackardV8's comment below, let me add that another advantage of the alcohols over brake kleen or lacquer thinner is that they are also solvents that will absorb water. Rather that the "string job", if you had doubts about the cleanliness of the line you could fill a small container with the alcohol and use an electric pump to continually circulate the alcohol thru the line.

POST-EDIT EDIT: You didn't say what you wanted to clean from the fuel line, I assumed organic residue. If you meant rust, DanL gives the only real solution, replace the line.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What did u find in the fuel line????? Find any water?????

Take a string about 4x the length of fuel line. Start it in one end for about 6 inches. Use compressed air to blow the string on thru the rest of the line. Sometimes have to blow at rite angles across the OTHERr end of the fuel line to create a vacuum to pull string on thru. Tie a swab or anything u want to to the centre of the string and push/pull it backwards and forwards thru the line to help clean it.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
There is no water or condensate in the line now. I had to pull the fuel pump and clean the debris (rust)out of the fuel chamber so I blew the gas line out with my air compressor with low pressure air back to the tank connection where I had wired on some filter paper to catch whatever came out. which was more of the rusty particles I had found in the pump. I did this several times, even forced some ethanol gas and diesel fuel through a couple of times but, I'm still getting rusty debris.

I'll try your bit with string and swab and alcohol and see what happens.
I do have a new electric pump I bought in case my mechanical failed but changed my mind so I could rig it up and try that if all else fails. I cut a piece of the line off the tank end and the line actually looks pretty good inside and not rusty, so I gues the rust must be in the low spots.

I don't want to even think of trying to route new line in there, I see no way to do it without a bunch of fittings.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
BD
Have you examined the gas tank for rust?
You seem to be talking a LOT of rust particles.

I have never replaced fuel lines but have seen some advertised that are fairly malleable to forming their way through the car.

New lines seem a direct way to less rust.

I hope you have a good cheap filter in the line and a couple of replacements. Catch that rust someplace before the carb.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:29
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Need to pull the tank and take a look inside of it. My tank looked like brand new on the outside but the inside was beyond repair and it had pin holes in it.

Mite need to consider replaceing fuel line too.

kEEP US POSTED.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 19:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
Yes the tank was pretty rusty inside and I had it cleaned and coated with "Red Kote" at H&H radiator and tank repair. They didn't do a very good job the first time around so I took it back and had them redo it. I installed a ball valve at the tank outlet and have a Fram inline filter just after the valve before the line goes over the frame at the rear axle. I installed the valve to permit changing the filter without having to drain the tank. I also replaced (temporarily I hope) the carter fuel filter at the carb with another Fram filter with a clear plastic housing. I had thought of adding another filter just ahead of the pump but, decided it may be too much for the pump to overcome.
If I still have some sediment or ? after cleaning the line I may add the filter and see what happens. If the pump will handle it I'll change filters for awhile and see if it clears up. Heck maybe the ethanol will eat the stuff.
If all of the above fails to fix the problem I supppose I'll try to find some maleable material to replace the line because I don't want to have more inline fittings than what is factory stock.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try pulling the main fuel line streight forward and out from under the car and from the FRONT of the car. I haven't tried it yet. But i removed the rear brake line that way from my 56 Executive parts car. It has no front sheet metal nor engine. It looks like it can be R&R'ed that way on a fully assembled car.

Posted on: 2009/8/9 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
I"ll give her another (closer) look see but,one thing for sure it'll take more than one pair of hands. Like you I also replaced the rear brake lines which runs just beneath the gas line on my 56 pat. In fact both lines use the same support clips at the frame. From the tank the gas line is continuous without any breakout fittings up to the rubber hose connection at the pump. It has some pretty mean angles and offsets at the firewall and engine compartment, but I believe there is always a way.

Posted on: 2009/8/11 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Bowman D,

You are taking the necessary precautions and doing a thorough job.

Congratulations! This is the kind of thing you will be glad you did carefully.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/8/11 14:48
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved