Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 230

William Grosz, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Solid State Ignition
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Packards International Northwest Region also offers a conversion kit for the 33-34 dual point Northeast ignition.
http://www.packardsintnw.com/regional_projects.htm

Posted on: 2009/8/11 8:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
The 33-34 conversion kits from Packard's International and Max Merritt come from the same place, Custom Machine, that's me. I also have been supplying the conversion for 6th thru 9th series for years. I came up with the 33-34 kit at the urging of the guys at Max Merritt.

Owen, our two conversions are very simular but I did not copy you as I have never seen your write up. This was just the simple way to make it.

John

Posted on: 2009/8/25 11:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This was just the simple way to make it.

Then dare we say great minds think alike? And John, it's nice to know who actually makes the kits. Did you ever have any dealings with the late Larry Justice who had a considerable involvement with the 33/34 NorthEast systems?

Posted on: 2009/8/25 11:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Larry Justice was a close friend and we had many discussions about things to do with distributors and coils.

For years we had a Saturday car guys lunch at a local restaurant, never knew who would show up, or how many.
As it was close to Larry's home he was almost always there and the chair at the head of the table was his, if he didn't show up the chair would be left empty. Larry was liked and respected by everyone he met, he is missed.

Larry was one of the first to build coils for Twelves and 33-34 dual coil systems. I never got involved in building coils as I didn't want to encroach on Larry.

I developed the 6th.- 9th series conversion because at the time I had a 32 902 and got tired of filing the burnt up points every 50 or so miles to make it run right, and I could not bring myself to pay $100+ for a set of points.

Sincerely, John

Posted on: 2009/8/25 14:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for that insight into Larry, that's exactly the kind of gentleman I would have expected he was. Though I never met him in person we did speak on occasion on the phone about the 33/34 NorthEast systems and at one point I did purchase a set of replacement coils from him, complete with base and caps. It was almost too nice to put on the car, belonged on a mantle or similar. And when I did after a while have problems with one of the coils, there was never any question or issue, he just promptly made good on the matter. A fine example for other Packard vendors.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 14:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Had a customer/victim with a 6th Series (1929) 626 that was equipped with a Delco distributor that had dual points and condensers. This was back in the early 80's and I couldn't find a set of points locally but I was able to "make" a pair (two pairs actually!) by combining a stationary arm from one brand (Chevy?) with a moving arm from another (Chrysler?).

It's been over 20 years and I don't recall the details but when I was done with this abortion it all lined up perfectly and ran great...especially after I removed the external condensers which someone had added to the body of the distributor...the distributor was originally built with the condensers under the breaker plate! No wonder the scope displayed a most perplexing pattern!!!!!!!!!

The irony of ironies is that the original condensers passed all tests and the replacements didn't!! Got it all straightened out, corrected the reversed polarity on BOTH coils and tightened all the loose connections on the primary side of the recently re-wired ignition switch (by a certain very well known Packard shop who shall remain nameless) and it ran so smooth that it I could idle it down slow enough to balance a nickle on the head. For the record, I didn't keep it that slow for long, I know about the oil starvation issues at such speeds.

The owner could finally pull the southbound Waldo grade north of San Francisco in high gear...he used to crawl up it in low(er) gear. The other impressive thing about this engine was that you could start from a dead stop in high gear without touching the gas...just slip the clutch a little to keep from stalling. That flywheel must've weighed more than an entire Honda!

Ooops, sorry for the hijack!

Posted on: 2009/9/9 20:00
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

myronw
See User information
Hi Guys,

What do you recommend for the '35 super 8 distributor. Mine has dual points; but it only has one coil and a single ended rotor...

I have a couple sets of extra points; but always wonder if both are sincronised (sp.) correctly.

Thanks,

Myron

Posted on: 2009/10/7 22:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'm new to Packards, so i may be far off base. But if i'm not mistaken the 33 standard is a straight eight correct? Any way you could make a distributor from a later eight fit?

If so, pertronix makes 6v + and - ground kits that look stock. I am VERY pleased with the 6v pos ground kit that i have on my 50 288, and will be getting the same for the 327 i am putting in. I love that it's still 6v and positive ground, but that it never misses a beat and i don't have any ignition maintenance. (although i did cheat by buying an alternator that was converted to 6v pos ground...tons of voltage no matter how low the rpm!)

I didn't see anything on their site that would replace what you have directly, but by putting a later distributor in, if possible, you could easily use one of their simple kits.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 23:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Turbopackman can you tell me how to wire up the Ford module? Is there a specific one or any TDI will work? I think the Aerostar vans had a nice one mounted away from the engine on a heat sink.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
But if i'm not mistaken the 33 standard is a straight eight correct? Any way you could make a distributor from a later eight fit?

Any of the Packard straight eights that had the the distributor mounted to the cylinder head can be fitted, this includes the NorthEast and Delco units from 1929 to 1939 on the 320 and 385 cubic inch engines. None of the distributors from the later en-bloc engines will fit as is, and to adapt one is difficult. But unless altered, your 33 Eight has the 4-lobed distributor cam, double-ended rotor, dual coils, and dual points. If you read earlier in this thread you'll find the issues with conversion. But why would anyone want to convert from that very elegant and super hot-spark NorthEast system? It's a unique, almost a trade-mark feature of the 33/34 Eights and Super Eights.

Posted on: 2009/11/10 16:10
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved