Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wheel seal question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Has anyone had any experienece with the modern lip seal type of front wheel seals in place of the old rawhide originals? I'm replacing the National seals part # 5975 with SKF # 17145. The number crossed directly over but its a rubber lip seal with an ID thats .025 less than the spindle and .100 thicker than the old one. The lip has enough stretch to fit, just looking for opinions or tips-
Thanks

Posted on: 2009/8/13 11:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Wheel seal question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My own experience is that rawhide seals, oiled well before installation, last at least as long, perhaps longer than the alternatives as long as they've had reasonable storage.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 11:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
Owen-I agree, the also don't wear a groove into the spindle like a lip seal can, but I don't know where to find them.
Mike

Posted on: 2009/8/13 11:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm really out of date on this, are you saying that Chicago Rawhide (C/R) is no longer is business?

Posted on: 2009/8/13 12:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

MikeG
See User information
C/R and SKF are one and the same. The seals are still in a green box but they say SKF on them . Bearings are all branded SKF now. Not sure when the change actually took place. I've sold C/R for a long time and the packaging was a running change, but I can't say for sure when it started.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 13:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I bought brand new leather wheel seals for my '56 Pat from Oreilly's when I redid the brakes, and never had a problem with them. I agree with Owen, make sure they're well lubricated before installing and you'll never have any trouble with them.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 13:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Eric -

If that number for a leather front wheel grease seal for the Seniors is not already in the Parts X-ref, could you please add it?

Posted on: 2009/8/13 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would if I still had the number, that was almost 3 years ago! For what it's worth, I just took the old seal in and they crossed the number on the seal to a National number.

Posted on: 2009/8/13 16:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved