Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

BigKev, Bingo, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Car show ramblings
Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I would rather go to a cruise where everything is welcome around here the cruises are very well attended having a large scope of cars below a few example you may recognize the best other as Randy's. The thing that I find rather amusing is that the regular cars attract as much or more attention than the normal Camaro Mustang Chevelle GTO & Corvettes . There are usually so many of them people don't pay much attention to them as the regular plain ordinary family cars everyone remembers as family cars .

Attach file:

jpg  (147.59 KB)
252_4a899166438a1.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (148.74 KB)
252_4a8991b2c952e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (123.68 KB)
252_4a8991cab0d2e.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (126.95 KB)
252_4a89933a131a3.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/8/17 12:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
At one local show I suggested that instead of trophies the attendees should all have a ballot entered into a cash raffle and they agreed that this was a good idea.
I went to another local car show last month as I always do so that people who may have never seen a Packard will have an opportunity to view mine. I compare my Packard to a wealthy dowager attending a rock concert. She is not flashy and doesn't have flames on the hood, a chrome valve covered 350/350 under the hood and loud exhaust pipes projecting out the back but she has class and style in the Darrin styled body, the superb and silent 9 main bearing inline engine under the hood and her coat of conservative blue paint. She doesn't need a trophy to prove who she is and those who truly recognize automobile excellence acknowledge her for her understated beauty and grace.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 13:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Ken: Concerning the Ford truck that was entered in the orphan class did you or some other persons with entrants in that class let the judges know of their mistake.

If you or no other persons spoke up then I wouldn't complain to loudly. If you told them of their mistake and they did nothing about then you have a right to be ticked.

In the past when I went to car shows and entered my Chevelle and when something was wrong I complained loudly, the matter usually got taken care of.

I am like acolds I would rather take my car to a cruise than a car show. At a cruise you can spend as little or as much time as you want. I guess over the years I have had enough of car shows spending four or five hours or better putting up with the blazing sun and hot weather and no place to escape from it.

I have seen over the years many car shows put on by people as fund raisers. The persons and support staff running these shows in most cases know very little about the hobby or how to properly run a car show.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/8/17 13:56
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here in CT there are a few shows that cut off around '69 or '72, as well as one that allows unmodifieds only through 1958 (used to be prewar only)

I guess you're referring to the old Richfield CT show, held more recently in Redding CT after a few years of banging around in other locales, and sponsored by the HCCA-AACA? Held at Lone Star Farm or something like that? I've attended fairly regularly over the years, sometimes with my 34 Packard, occasionally as a rider in something else. I hadn't heard they changed from prewar only - kind of a shame but a sign of the times I guess. For me the show will loose a bit of its appeal.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
if i wanted to win awards, id have spent my time and money and built a cookie cutter, 'glass bodied ford hotrod.

i mean, my car is/was a DARE car, and i couldnt even with the "dare to be different" category. Its a Packard police car, fer cryin out loud.

but thats ok, i had a croud around my car for the entire three hour show, so i guess that works.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 16:50
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Don't worry about it, Ken. If the guy in the Toyota truck needs to have a trophy, let him have it. Then, drive past him in the real best of show, which is worth more than those $5 trophies.

Wes,

Trophies are nice, I've got plenty of them and don't need anymore, but seeing some of these things is like having a piece of popcorn stuck under your teeth. It's not a major thing, but it is a irritant. Like I said, I was glad at least the best of show went to a car with some history, although it was painted a Mustang Shelby painted candy grape purple.

I go to shows to see other cars, go places I've never been and to socialize and support good causes. The Packard does draw a crowd.

As a joke, a member of a club was dj'ing and I told him to ask this trivia question "who made Packards'. Someone yelled out Ford

Posted on: 2009/8/17 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Quote:

Packard53 wrote:
Ken: Concerning the Ford truck that was entered in the orphan class did you or some other persons with entrants in that class let the judges know of their mistake.

If you or no other persons spoke up then I wouldn't complain to loudly. If you told them of their mistake and they did nothing about then you have a right to be ticked.

In the past when I went to car shows and entered my Chevelle and when something was wrong I complained loudly, the matter usually got taken care of.

John F. Shireman

I was actually walking pass the Ford when it was being judged and some guy was telling the judge it wasn't an orphan it was judge. I wasn't complaining but I also remarked that the truck was a Ford which wasn't an orphan. I don't complain to organizers as they here enough crap from people who thought they should win. I just let the cards fall where they do.

Though some guy was telling an owner of an Olds that he shouldn't be in the orphan class because it hadn't been 10 years since the nameplate was discontinued. That's being picky for a local car show.

I always laugh also at the special interest classes. I always things of that class being reserved for something unusual. But you have car owners jumping into that class in an attempt to win a trophy. yesterday was no exception with a 90 Toyota, 28 Dodge and a 58 Cadillac entered that class.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 18:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Packardon,

I actually went to two shows last weekend both in Oregon City. The first was put on by the Cascade Plymouth club which was cool as they brought all of their stock Plymouths to the show. I got the BoS there. Yesterday was at the Clackamas Community College.

The show that was really screwed up was you T-Bird club show. They forgot to print the ballots so when they finally got the ballots, hey just put them on the table and let anybody judge. Of course I didn't get an award as it was awarded to a 28 Dodge who looked like it was painted with a paint brush. The owners were out in front of their car soliciting votes while I was sleeping behind mine

Posted on: 2009/8/17 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
In regards cars shows being too long, I agree. I just arrive late.

It's actually more fun to arrive late, and I usually get a great parking spot. At the show yesterday which started officially at 11, with registration from 8-11, people showed up at 6 AM. That is crazy.

There is a Friday night cruise I attend fairly regularly, pop in for an hour or so.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
My Chevelle is no trophy taker being its a 66 Malibu with a 6 cylinder engine and four door. In the 20 years that I have my Chevelle trophy winning has never been a factor with me.

I complained one time at a local AACA show about a person not getting what they should have. At the show they had a class for unrestored cars. In this class was a Willys Knight Knight never restored and in dam good condition. When it came to handing the awards out they gave the trophy to a fellow owning a 1939 Chevy that had been repainted. The fellow owning the Willys Knight should have gotten the trophy. I told the judges my thoughts on the matter and in the end I just told them they were JACK A$$$
and just walked away. Needless to say the next year when I took my Chevelle to the show I was given the cold shoulder by those judges.

To many car shows are rn by people that just don't know what they are doing. Then thier actions or lack of same tend to piss off the people who enter the events, that do have a clue as to how things should be run.

John F. Shieman

Posted on: 2009/8/17 18:58
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved