Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Car show ramblings
Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
Went to a car show today. The car sponsors picked a fake ford as the best Ford. It's driving me nuts that these replicars are beating out steel body cars for awards. These are cars built out of a kit, assembled in the last 5 years, but have zero automobile history. Can't take it too serious, but has people's taste for cars gone in the crapper. Most of these local car shows will award Best of Show to a 30s hot rod, but now the relicars are getting best of shows.

Of course the funniest thing at he sho was a guy with a 20's ford tow truck (didn't know if it was real) was entered in the orphan class. He actually took a third place. I guess he lost points for not being an orphan.

Then there's the people choice award. They just had a bunch of voting ballots in a basket for anyone to grab, and some twerp stuffed the ballot box so his 1980's Toyota truck was awarded People's Choice.

I know you can't take these shows too seriously, but some things just irritate the hell out of me

Posted on: 2009/8/17 0:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Car show ramblings
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Don't worry about it, Ken. If the guy in the Toyota truck needs to have a trophy, let him have it. Then, drive past him in the real best of show, which is worth more than those $5 trophies.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 8:12
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The reason I enter my Packards in car shows is to share them with the public and to socialize with other exhibitors. It is nice to have the cars recognized and awarded a trophy, but this not a must for me. One of the clubs I belong to does not allow members' cars to win any awards. This policy is fine with me. Another reason I enter car shows is that it solves the parking problem.

Years ago, I was at a regional concours in California. The local TV station was covering the event and interviewing owners. One of the cars they chose to cover was a replica Cobra. The owner of a nearby real Cobra pointed this out to the interviewer, but the interviewer was not interested in covering the real thing. Sad.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 9:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
West and JW, those are my sentiments exactly too as well as for the bigger sanctioned more sophisticated shows.
NO disrespect implied here: Quite the contrary:

Vendors, clubs and volunteers expend a great deal of effort and dediction and resources to establish shows and other activities. Without their dedication and actions in such activities then noone would have any such auto related activities to attend.
Any "political" awards or trophies handed out most likely go to those that perhaps no more deserve them for their cars than anyone else but the PERSON certainly deserves a lot of recognition for their efforts to maintane a show or other public gathering activity. So give them the trophy or award for thier car whether the car deserves it or not. Why Not!! ?? The PERSON certainly deserves it.

Restoration of a car , even to factory original perfection, is a personal endeavor. Something one does for self satisfaction. NOT for public approval!

It's a car show. NOT a pay check for the attendees.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 9:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My local North Jersey unaffiliated independent club, the Restored Rusty Relics, has run a show for about 30 years, typically drawing 300-500 cars which must be 25 years old or older (though an occasional replica sneaks in). Proceeds to local charities, and members not only are not eligible for awards, they pay the same entry fee as anyone else. Though some few members occasionally take exceptionto these rules, I feel they are entirely appropriate and avoid the issue of political preference in awards.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Hey Ken,

Was this show at the top of the hill in Oregon City? If it is, its kind of a rag tag bunch, and not surprised if a '74 caprice in primer were to be the grand champion.

I saw your competition......you were robbed.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.68 KB)
633_4a897976c8c34.jpg 449X314 px

jpg  (45.70 KB)
633_4a8979922206a.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (30.83 KB)
633_4a8979a3f333b.jpg 597X413 px

Posted on: 2009/8/17 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

West and JW, well said! Packard owners who drive and share their cars truly have THE TROPHY! No cheapo trophy needed.

Those poor souls who need validation by a show car trophy, let them have it, it's probably the only recognition they receive in their miserable lives.

Of the Best of Show awarded to replicar rods; while it is dismaying, best to keep in mind my paraphrase of H.L. Mencken:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence or taste of the American public!"

Regardless if it's genuine, if it's showy, pretty and especially really "cool", it'll get the first prize!

Steve

Posted on: 2009/8/17 10:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Amen & well said. If I go to a show, it's always display only category.

As to the top picture "car show loser", that's a hoot & one way to keep everyone dry. I only hope there are no tall hills to climb. Otherwise the top heavy cab is likely to land the poor water buffalo in the drivers lap.. NTHSA would have a field day--at least an acre of trees writing that up.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I kinda like that "Ugly truck."
Ken, you weren't robbed of anything, unless your Cadillac and Packard are no longer in your garage.

Posted on: 2009/8/17 11:51
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Steve Mackinnon
See User information
Here in CT there are a few shows that cut off around '69 or '72, as well as one that allows unmodifieds only through 1958 (used to be prewar only); These are my favorites. We attend other shows as well, however I find those most enjoyable as they tend to draw people interested in Packards as well as other true antiques. I know AACA says 25 years or older, but I still can't get too excited about anything much past 1970, seems to be enough shows out there to allow one to be a little picky, at least here in CT, anyway.

Any "peoples choice" is a game of chance anyway. But I bet some of the people there really appreciated seeing such a nice Packard, Ken. (Or 1912 Cadillac, assuming you are still playing with that as well?)

Posted on: 2009/8/17 11:55
Steve Mackinnon
1939 Packard 120 Sedan (sold)
1940 Packard 110 Convertible
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved