Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: "NEW" to me '55 Packard Clipper Custom
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
The only gold trim on the 55 Clipper is the helms wheel on the dashboard.

Posted on: 2009/9/4 23:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Joe -

You might try polishing the script plates with a good all-metal polish, as you'll often see demonstrated at swap meets, but it's probably the nickel showing through the failing chrome. The polish will shine 'em up, but - sooner or later - you will have to replace or replate them.

The piece you've shown looks to be a good candidate for re-plating, but that can be costly and quality and durability varies widely.

You may find good, used, original script plates at swap meets. Except for a few cases, NOS scripts are nearly impossible to find for these cars.

Some of the script plates for the '55-'56 cars have been reproduced, but with mixed results, IMHO.

Posted on: 2009/9/5 9:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I bought several "The Four Hundred" scripts when they first came out and they have held up well. On the other hand I had the gold circle on the trunk replated in gold which came off the first time I washed the car. The plater makes the difference.

Posted on: 2009/9/5 9:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
i would really like to keep the original emblems that came on the car, even if they are not perfect -- she will be in a garage from now on so I think a little polishing will work -- are they super fragile? the ones on the trunk seemed pretty hefty and I'm assuming they are all pretty much the same so maybe just polish them up and maybe just have some nickel emblems? whadaya think?

Posted on: 2009/9/5 11:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
From what I can see in your pic, the one script looks to be solid. However, know that when these script plates start to pit, they degrade quickly and become quite fragile. Also, some of the larger ones (for example, the Packard script on the rear fenders of the Senior cars) are actually hollow.

If you intend to remove them from the car, be patient, proceed with caution, and work carefully.

Either way, I would recommend polishing by hand only.

Posted on: 2009/9/5 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
The plater makes the difference.

Just how are chrome pieces re-plated? Do they use electroplating or is there some secret alchemy involved that mere mortals would not understand?

Posted on: 2009/9/6 1:32
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
I found thishttp://freepages.pavilion.net/nickfull/chrome.htm
-- seems like its just like a paint and body man -- if they clean the part well and do all the prep work its not problem but when they get in a hurry or don't really know what they are doing they could make a mess out of a good part

Posted on: 2009/9/6 11:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved