Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 233

Mike52_200, Tom (Packin31), humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Overheating.... Alot!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

alberto
See User information
im haven the same problem have u fixxed it thanks in advance

Posted on: 2009/9/14 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Well, I'm having problems with my 53, The car since I raised her from the dead has been running after turning it off

I missed this the first time around. If you mean the engine keeps on running a bit after the ignition is turned off I would recheck the timing and if that's OK get some of that stuff you dump through the intake that is designed to clean the carbon deposits from the combustion chamber. Sometimes carbon build up will create little hot spots that will ignite the fuel after the key is turned off. It's funny, I've had engines that would run for over a minute after being turned off. Not well but running. The gunk through the intake took care of that. You would run the engine hot then, at fast idle, dump the stuff through. Flood it out with the last in the can. Let it sit for the recommended time. Then start it up and watch the smoke pour out.

Wait till your tree hugger neighbors are out in their front yard. They just love that stuff.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 23:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The best way to clean carbon out of an engine is a squirt bottle full of water. Have the engine running at about 1500-2000 rpm and squirt the water down the carb, but do NOT let it die. The water turns to steam in the cylinder and cleans the carbon out extremely well. I've done this to a lot of different engines and you should see the amount of black crap coming out of the tailpipe! Oh yeah, do it out in the street if you can so you don't have to clean up the mess it makes!

Posted on: 2009/9/14 23:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
do it out in the street if you can so you don't have to clean up the mess it makes!

Good point. I have used water as well but thought the stuff in the cans did a better job. Maybe I was just fooling myself. The snake oil salesman comes to mind here.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 23:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
a little bit of dex merc III auto tranny fluid down the carb works great too. nice thick smoke with a real liquid like carbon deposit discharge. but like turbo said do it out close to the road. that crap will never come off a concrete driveway.

Posted on: 2009/9/27 0:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved