Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
256 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 256

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel System Problems
Just popping in
Just popping in

gretchen
See User information
56 packard has been in storage for many years with only 41k on it. It was starving for fuel and dying. I replaced the fuel pump and installed a new ceramic filter and now it's even worse. Any suggestions??

Posted on: 2009/9/10 22:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel System Problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Tank is probably in need of a good cleaning, I'd start there.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 22:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if the tank doesn't do it, if the carb sat full of gas and evaporated, it may have a good layer of varnish, crud and dried out seals messing things up.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
First off replace all the rubber hoses, if for nothing else than safety's sake...but you could also have a cracked one on the suction side and it's sucking air instead of catching a prime and sucking gas.

Regarding the fuel pump, was it fresh stock or old NOS? The rubber diaphragms from days gone by are not compatible with today's gas and even if they were, decades of sitting on a shelf didn't do the rubber any good.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 22:24
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Inspect the steel fuel lines, as well. Look for rusty areas that may have started to leak; a small leak sucking air upstream of the fuel pump would cause a problem similar to vapor lock.

If varnish is a concern, try blowing compressed air through the line to check for obstruction. If the steel line proves to be solid, but restricted, you may want to try fishing some steel wire through it, then flushing with an aerosol solvent - like brake cleaner.

Posted on: 2009/9/11 7:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A very positive way to check a fuel line for leaks is to pull a vacuum on it, plug the ends, and see if it will hold a vacuum overnight.

Posted on: 2009/9/11 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
this was my problem as well, the tank turned out the be the problem as it was a quarter of the way full of nasty thick goop, and I guess with all the goop sitting there it really did a number on the bottom of my tank to point that the tank is useless ----- every one of these answers are great for you and very true but in my case the tank was the root of the problem and if not attended to, would have ruined any work done on the rest of the fuel system

Posted on: 2009/9/11 8:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
...pull a vacuum on it, plug the ends, and see if it will hold a vacuum overnight.

Hmm, sounds like another good use for my MityVac handheld vacuum pump (one of the best tool investments I ever made).

Posted on: 2009/9/11 9:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Quote:

Joe Douglas wrote:
this was my problem as well, the tank turned out the be the problem as it was a quarter of the way full of nasty thick goop, and I guess with all the goop sitting there it really did a number on the bottom of my tank to point that the tank is useless ----- every one of these answers are great for you and very true but in my case the tank was the root of the problem and if not attended to, would have ruined any work done on the rest of the fuel system

Toss a match down the filler and stand back...you might want to make sure your fire insurance is paid in full before doing so...

Posted on: 2009/9/11 14:25
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Quote:

Toss a match down the filler and stand back...you might want to make sure your fire insurance is paid in full before doing so...

I think if you were to have thrown a match down my old tank you would be disappointed!! i don't think anything in there would have burned, it might have thrown the match back at you as it cussed you out for waking it up

Posted on: 2009/9/13 19:48
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved