Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

rochester carb for 1955 400
Just popping in
Just popping in

larrpack
See User information
Has anyone had problems with accelerator pump in carb being affected by today's gasoline?

Posted on: 2009/9/14 16:06
 Top  Print   

Re: rochester carb for 1955 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day larrpack,
to PackardInfo and sorry can't help with your query. But as your query is for a '55 400, could you please include it in the Owner Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2009/9/14 16:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
If your carburetor has had an older rebuild or had been sitting for a long time then the accelerator pump cup and even the needle (assuming it's rubber tipped) could very well be prone the swill that passes as gasoline nowadaze.

Can I assume that you're experiencing pump shot issues? Long dormant pumps in carbs that have gone bone dry can "weld" themselves to the bore and tear the moment they're activated thus rendering them inop.

If you deem a rebuild necessary I'd strongly urge you to determine the freshness of the rebuild kit you obtain. Doesn't matter if it's brand new in a sealed package, it it's old and dried out then it's old and dried out! Then there's the issue of the compatibility of the older rubber compounds with today's gas. I'd say don't buy a kit that's over 5 years old if you can, perhaps 10 at the outside.

In case you weren't already aware, the Packard 4bbls were Rochester 4GC and not AFB's etc.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 16:43
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

larrpack
See User information
I had a guy rebuild it (a pro) the car ran good for a few months. I didn't start the car for about 3 days and now notice no spray from jets. The guys says the pump gets effected by today's "clean" gas. so, I don't know.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 17:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
I'd ask the guy what I warned you about...how fresh was the rebuild kit?!?! If he knew of the problem , and if he used OLD stock then he did you a disservice and you should be entitled to a warranty repair (in my humbly bombastic opinion)<br /><br />Ypsilanti? Take it to Willow Run and have them fix it. Tell em that Henry J sent you LOL

Posted on: 2009/9/14 17:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
<p>Predictor wrote:</p>
Quote:
In case you weren't already aware, the Packard 4bbls were Rochester 4GC and not AFB's etc.

<p>55-56 Clippers had Carter WCFBs usually. I've seen WCFBs on Seniors too and vice versa. I'm not taking issue with what you said, just expanding on the point.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/9/14 17:28
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
mine worked fine when i bought it, and did for awhile, but i eventually started noticing it was geting lean on accelerating. finally, one day it just stopped spraying. later that day, while i was limping homw with no accel pump, the rest of it clogged up too.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 20:20
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Quote:

Craig wrote:
<p>Predictor wrote:</p>
Quote:

<p>55-56 Clippers had Carter WCFBs usually. I've seen WCFBs on Seniors too and vice versa. I'm not taking issue with what you said, just expanding on the point.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

The point is atop me noggin, but as Phil Donahue was wont to say: "Irregardless" I said Packard, not Clipper. Besides, everyone knows that the Postwar Clippers aren't actually Packards LOL At least that's what Uncle Jimmy told us.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 21:16
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

larrpack
See User information
If I deem a rebuild necessary? Are there other options, i.e new carb and by what make? Are there new carbs compatible with this engine (352 V8) ?

Posted on: 2009/9/14 22:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You can use a 500 cfm Edelbrock on a Packard and have no issues. I used one on my 320 and it worked great.

Posted on: 2009/9/14 23:00
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved