Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Delorean Motor Company
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
I saw this dealership on Beltway 8 in Houston and couldn't believe it -- someone has bought the name and right i guess and began to build these things again and restore old ones -- the restored ones were priced at $30,000+ and the new ones were closer to $60,000 but had updated interior with leather heated seats, back up camera, and other do-dads -- their website is www.delorean.com -- just thought this was interesting with the involvement of John DeLorean at Packard Motor Company (guess he liked the Motor Company part) --
from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Packard Motor Company
DeLorean's time at Chrysler lasted less than a year, ending when he was offered a US$14,000 salary at Packard Motor Company under supervision of noted engineer Forest McFarland. DeLorean quickly gained the attention of his new employer with an improvement to the Ultramatic automatic transmission, giving it an improved torque converter and dual drive ranges; it was launched as the "Twin-Ultramatic".[7]

Packard was experiencing financial difficulties when DeLorean joined, due to changes in the automobile consumer market. While Ford, General Motors and American Motors had begun producing affordable mainstream products, Packard, Ewing, and Marquette clung to their pre-WWII era notions of high-end, precisely engineered luxury cars. This exclusive philosophy was to take its toll on profitability. However, it proved to have a positive effect on DeLorean's attention to engineering detail, and after four years at Packard he became McFarland's successor as head of research and development.[8]

While still a profitable company, Packard suffered alongside other independents as it struggled to compete when Ford and General Motors engaged in a price war.[9] James Nance, President of Packard, decided to merge the company with Studebaker Corporation in 1954.[9] A subsequent proposed merger with American Motors Corporation never passed the discussion phase.[9] DeLorean considered keeping his job and moving to Studebaker headquarters in South Bend, Indiana, when he received a call from Oliver K. Kelley, vice president of engineering at General Motors, a man whom DeLorean greatly admired. Kelley called to offer DeLorean his choice of jobs in five divisions of GM.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.06 KB)
1757_4ac29a4e234d6.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (36.31 KB)
1757_4ac29a630f229.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (32.79 KB)
1757_4ac29f1b25a34.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/9/29 19:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Delorean Motor Company
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My understanding was that when Delorean went out of business, some investors bought up the inventory of unused parts. From them, they build brand new cars out of the NOS parts or refurbish existing cars. I do not think they manufacture any parts, but that may have changed.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Joe

Until recently there was a very small car museum in Bernardsville, New Jersey. "It was a storefront on a downtown street and held four cars. The display was changed 3 or 4 times a year.

A few years ago there was a Packard display. There was a Grand Opening reception on a Sunday afternoon about a week after the show was set up. I think Packards East used it as a meeting so I drove down to meet my friends. On the way down I heard on the radio that John DeLorean had died the night before.

After looking at the cars, and looking at the cars, and taking pictures of the cars, and talking to people, I wandered over to sign the guest book. About 4 spaces above where I put my name was John DeLorean's, dated 5 or 6 days before. Visiting the Packards was one off the last things he did

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2009/9/29 21:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Quote:

JHH wrote:
Joe

Until recently there was a very small car museum in Bernardsville, New Jersey. "It was a storefront on a downtown street and held four cars. The display was changed 3 or 4 times a year.

A few years ago there was a Packard display. There was a Grand Opening reception on a Sunday afternoon about a week after the show was set up. I think Packards East used it as a meeting so I drove down to meet my friends. On the way down I heard on the radio that John DeLorean had died the night before.

After looking at the cars, and looking at the cars, and taking pictures of the cars, and talking to people, I wandered over to sign the guest book. About 4 spaces above where I put my name was John DeLorean's, dated 5 or 6 days before. Visiting the Packards was one off the last things he did

Regards

John Harley

thats amazing, he died at Overlook Hospital in Summit,New Jersey March 19, 2005 --- which is about a half hour from that museum --- at age 80 going to see the Packards must have really meant something to him ---- thats a great story John -- thanks for sharing it

Posted on: 2009/9/29 22:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Until recently there was a very small car museum in Bernardsville, New Jersey

Right John, that was the CWJ Museum, now defunct, though one of the principals is now involved in the Fairfield CT Concours. As I remember, you, I, Gerry & Jeff were on that visit.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 22:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
That really is beyond cool that John Z had a last chance to check out those Packards.

Once of those Delorean shops is near me (Bellevue, near Seattle), should anyone need some local eyes let me know.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 22:57
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I always thought these were cool cars but, depending how you look at it, they ended up as either the Tucker or Edsel of the 80's. I especially liked the stainless steel construction.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 1:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There is a John Z. Deloren listed in the Classic Car Club of America's 2009 Handbook and Members Roster. The address is in New Jersey.

Also, I understood from a friend, who owns a Deloren, that the Houston company was ready to start production on replicas just as soon as they could locate a right front fender to use as a pattern. He also said that this company has been a source of Deloren parts and service for many years and is well know in this community.

P.S. What is the statement "...Packard, Ewing and Marquette..." mean? Who or what is Ewing? This makes no sense to me.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 12:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Quote:

P.S. What is the statement "...Packard, Ewing and Marquette..." mean? Who or what is Ewing? This makes no sense to me.

Under the leadership of William C. Durant, the General Motors Company was founded in 1908 to consolidate several motorcar companies producing Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Oakland (later Pontiac), Ewing, Marquette, and other autos, as well as Reliance and Rapid trucks. GM introduced the electric self-starter commercially in its 1912 Cadillac, and this invention soon made the hand crank obsolete. GM remained based in Detroit and was reincorporated and named General Motors Corporation in 1916. The Chevrolet auto company and Delco Products joined GM in 1918, and the Fisher Body Company and Frigidaire joined in 1919 (the latter was sold in 1979).

Posted on: 2009/9/30 17:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Joe, thanks for taking time to address my question. I understand Marquette's place in auto history, but had never heard of Ewing. But regardless the statement makes no sense to me in the context of Packard in the time frame being discussed.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 17:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved