Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 97

Ross, 29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

1939 Rollson Packard 1701
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Van
See User information
Would like to know if the following 1939 Rollson Packard 1701 still exists:

Motor # 302664
Body # 664
Design # 1665

Six Wheels, deluxe equipment.

Purchased new by Dan Topping (Yankees Owner)

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Van

Posted on: 2007/9/2 22:37
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Rollson Packard 1701
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are very few Rollstons on the junior 8 chassis, and those that do exist would qualify as a bona fide Full Classic per CCCA so if you don't get a positive response here, I'd browse the directories of the PAC and CCCA to see if you find a listing. Even if not, there is a chance one of the owners of other 1941 Rollstons might be aware of the car's existance.

Posted on: 2007/9/3 8:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I found this on Hemmings web site. Let us know what you find out...

PACKARD: 1939 120 panel Brougham style town car by Rollson, the car is in exceptional overall condition, the mechanical systems operate well but have not been detailed, $28,500. 212-496-1507, NY; rb37@columbia.edu $28,500

Posted on: 2007/11/19 16:35
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Van
See User information
Thanks, West Peterson:

This is an old ad that I investigated a few months ago. The seller said that the car belonged to the opera star Lilly Pons.

He sold the car to the Packard Museum in Dayton, Ohio. I sent them an email asking about the car at the time, but they never got back to me.

Thanks again for the lead

Van

Posted on: 2007/11/20 0:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Van
I just so happens that I live in Dayton. I haven't been to the Museum for a while, and did not know they had such a car. I'll try to get over there after Thanksgiving and see if I can get the numbers for you.
West

Posted on: 2007/11/20 9:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Lily Pons car has been well documented over the years in several Packard Club and other publications and I do not believe that Dan Topping was ever an owner. I've also seen a photograph some years back of the Dan Topping car in some hobby publication and if I stumble across it again I'll try to add to this post if it's still active (and I remember!).

Posted on: 2007/11/20 9:22
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Van
See User information
Re: Owen_Dyneto

Check out my possible new lead on the AACA Site.

Thanks, Van

Posted on: 2007/11/27 0:23
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Van
See User information
1939 Packard Rollson 1701:

New info has been uncovered:

1. Painting: Scheme "X" - Black.
2. Radio in rear compartment.
3. Artillery Steel Wheels.

No photos or knowledge if car still exists.

Thanks for any help. Van

Posted on: 2007/12/8 12:25
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
Van:

If I am following this thread properly, it appears that you reference a Rollson made for opera singer Lily Pons as a 1939 Packard/Rollson. I have a reference to the Lily Pons car as having been a 1941. This quote "One of the Panel Broughams was built for opera singer Lily Pons on a 1941 Packard 160 chassis, and a special high-roofed five-passenger sedan body was fitted on a Super Eight chassis for either an elderly or handicapped customer." is taken from (6th paragraph from the bottom) what appears to be a rather authoratative article regarding Rollson located at:http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/r/rollson/rollson.htm

I just contracted to purchase what I believe to be the 1941 "high-roofed five passenger sedan" yesterday, and have added a photo and some information on this car to the registry.

I suppose it is possible, but not likely due to the rarity of the Rollson, that Lily Pons may have owned both a 1939 and a 1941?

If I were trying to locate a particular Packard, I would contact the roster keeper for that car at:http://www.packardclub.org/

Good luck in your search

Posted on: 2008/7/11 5:38
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Van
See User information
PackarDan

Thanks so much for the very interesting story and photos of your new purchase; a 1941 Rollson Hightop.

I saw a 1939 Rollson Packard 1701, razor edge towncar advertised in Hemmings last year. When I contacted the owner who lived in New York, he said the car was sold. He seemed reluctant to give any info or photos on the car, except to say that it was sold to the Dayton Packard Museum and that it once belonged to Lily Pons. I sent an e-mail to the DPM last year, which went unanswered. A few days ago, I learned from West Peterson in Dayton, that a 1939 Rollson Packard Razor Edge Towncar is in the museum's basement. He said he would revisit the museum and get more info and photos if possible.

I did contact the Roster Keeper for the 1701's, but she told me that she has not been involved in keeping the roster for sometime. She said the Packard site needed to be updated.

Much more info on my search car is located at the AACA Forum.

Thanks again

Van

Posted on: 2008/7/11 16:49
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved