Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

Don B, jwblazek, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 30's Engine interchange
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that a standard eight from 1929-'31 will fit. There may be more in either direction as well. There are many engines in the Dayton Packard museum of that vintage and they are for sale. Some people have a hard time dealing with the randomness of museum and the way in which they sell parts, but others are able to get what they need. It's best if you can show up in person after making an appointment.

Good luck with those people, I've been waiting for almost two years for them to pick up my parts car and bring me a good 356. Hasn't happened yet, so my opinion is extremely low of them. I got ahold of Bob Signom a couple of weeks ago, he told me that he was going to come get the car and bring an engine to me soon. Then he tells me he'll call me "next Tuesday". Well, Tuesday's come and gone 4 times over and still no word from them. I've given them every opportunity to complete the deal we've made but it looks like it's not going to happen. So, good luck with them and if you're talking to them about getting an engine, tell them you don't want them to take as long to deal with as it did with that Eric Boyle guy....

Posted on: 2009/11/10 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Would any 320 c.i. engine through '39 interchange into an earlier chassis? I'd be interested to know how they differ if they do and why they wouldn't interchange if that's the case.

Interesting original question, fitting a '34 Super Eight 385 c.i. engine into a '31 833 chassis.....somewhat the same approach as the '30 '734; largest engine in the shorter chassis.
Sounds like a good project, your own '31 834! Some body adjustments required, not to mention a longer hood, and a set of 840 or 845 front fenders to make it look right.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/11/10 19:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dongle
See User information
Yes, would be an interesting project, but not one I have the energy for. I simply have an 833 with a bad engine (I have the engine). Every once and a while I run across another one (ie a 30, 29, 32 etc) and if they are cheap enough I'll put it into my 833 until such time that the original is re-built. I don't want to alter anything, just trying to simply bolt one up and go.

Dongle

Posted on: 2009/11/10 22:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
In regards to Eric's comments on the Packard Museum (Citizens) in Dayton, that is why I suggested going there in person, after making an appointment. Point out what you want, pay for it, go (but look around, first, it's really a cool place to visit).

I just noticed some engine parts on ebay that might fit your car. You'll have to ask the seller about measurements to see if what they have is the correct size. I thin he had about three different engines, and at least one of them looked to be from 1931.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 9:56
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dongle
See User information
Quote:

dongle wrote:
Yes, would be an interesting project, but not one I have the energy for. I simply have an 833 with a bad engine (I have the engine). Every once and a while I run across another one (ie a 30, 29, 32 etc) and if they are cheap enough I'll put it into my 833 until such time that the original is re-built. I don't want to alter anything, just trying to simply bolt one up and go.

Dongle

I'm going to re-ignite this topic. From previous posts, it appears that a 29-31 standard eight would fit, there were no conclusions about 'newer'.

Any thoughts on later standard eights - 32, 33 etc.
All help is appreciated.

Dongle

Posted on: 2010/4/2 7:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have no experience to help you but I suspect a major factor in the ease of interchange may be the change in the method of motor mounting. For example in earlier models the timing chain case extended from frame rail to frame rail with the front engine casting actually forming a frame crossmember; later (perhaps back to 32?) they used a simple center mounted (under the water pump) suspended rubber motor mount and the entire front engine case was very different. I'm on pretty thin ground here and I suggest you best go to some shows or talk with some owners and investigate the differences. Also of course look at the rear mounting method.

Posted on: 2010/4/2 9:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved