Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 208

Steve, Kevin, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 Power Steering Fluid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Gents,

Getting closer to putting my steering linkage back together and hooking up to the power steering ram. I wanted to get a quick poll on what you 56 owners are using for power steering fluid.

Thanks,
Robert.

Posted on: 2007/9/13 12:29
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Power Steering Fluid
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dan White
See User information
I am using type F trany fluid.
Dan

Posted on: 2007/9/13 13:58
Proudly owned by Princess Pricilla Packard!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Type F or Type FA transmission fluid, these are the closest to the original Type A. Use the same thing in your Ultramatic, the slip agents in Dexron/Mercon don't benefit an Ultramatic and may indeed hinder it's longevity.

Posted on: 2007/9/13 15:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Dan and Owen,

Thank you both for your replies. I have been using the Type F in the TU and will use that for the Power Steering.

Best Regards,
Robert.

Posted on: 2007/9/13 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I use the Dexron/Mercon in both the Ttwin-Ultra and the PS. I have NO high range clutch groan except maybe on rare occasions during cold weather below 20 dregeer F.

The trans had A LOT of high range groan when i first got the car and a few other occasional operational problems. These problems have all but disappeared by about 90% AFTER i changed to the Dexron/mercon and it took about 6 months for the groan to leave.

There is about 20K miles on the trans now with the Dexron/Mercom fluid. It works just fine.

Those of u satisfied with the type F should stay with it and not change. I doubt that it makes any difference.

Posted on: 2007/9/14 0:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My own experiences mirror PackardV8's, but in reverse. Early on I used Dexron/Mercon and quickly developed a high speed clutch groan. After switching to Type F the groan disappeared in about 200 miles and has not returned in 10 years. I have wondered if these different observations are related to the type of lining used on the clutch, whether OEM type or the newer GM type synthetic lining.

Posted on: 2007/9/14 8:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I sincerly doubt that the Twin-Ultra in my 56 Executive has been been removed nor serviced for anything other than what can be done by removing the oil pan. The car is very original with 36K miles when i got it. 55K miles now. I have the Packard dealer service records and previous owner history on the car.
So i really doubt that there is anything in the trans that would be different from when it left the factory.

In any event, i am more suspicous about differences in the MODERN type F vs MODERN Dexron et-al fluids.

Quite possibley there is little or no difference in the MODERN fluids, regardless or type, where as there mite have been a LOT of difference 20 years ago or more. I don't know.

Posted on: 2007/9/14 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I just remebered that in fact i have a MIXTURE of DExron I and Dexron III and Dexron Mercon in the trans over the last 7 or 8 years and 15K miles or more. This is because i had a lot of Original Dexron left over from about the late 70's as well as some more modern Dexron/Mercon.

Posted on: 2007/9/14 21:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved