Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
256 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 255

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1950 Standard 8 Broke axle question???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
In the same vein, I've heard it's a good idea to do this with the '55-'56 torsion bars as well, as it MAY restore ride height.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 7:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I don't know where you heard that, but torsion bars are designed to twist one way and one way only. Packard had two different bars designed to turn CW or CCW. If they could have turned either way they would only have had to make and stock one part - BIG savings.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 9:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I remember reading it somewhere on this website.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 10:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard had two different bars designed to turn CW or CCW. If they could have turned either way they would only have had to make and stock one part - BIG savings.

I'm certain Randy's correct on this - as I recall in manufacture they were pre-twisted and shot-peened or given some similar treatment, meaning they were configured for one-way use only. I suspect even if you could get the hexes to align to install on the opposite side, failure would be right around the corner.

Remember, these were meant to twist, axles aren't. Different metallurgy entirely.

I'm a bit curious where the axle that started this thread broke? When they break at the threaded end it's almost always the result of a inadequately tighted axle nut, or using a lubricant on the taper. If it broke elsewhere, a picture of the fracture would be interesting.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 10:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I KNEW I wasn't dreaming this and read it somewhere on here (I didn't remember the part about the "reverse stress" Craig mentioned):

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have wondered whether you could mount a long bar one hex off thereby adding 16+ degrees lift.

Yes, this can be done. My friend Paul in Las Vegas with the 56 Exec (see my website), did this. Didn't work too well, as I recall. He also tried flipping the main bars side to side. This worked better, but he was warned off by myself and others on the old site by "reverse stress" breaking one of the main bars inadvertently with bad consequences.

Does anyone have a stash of multi-ring front struts to provide to T-L owners? And if so, what length would one order?

IMO, the only solution is to do what I did, to wit: Make the front bars infinitely adjustable.

Craig

Post #27:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1870&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=20

Maybe you two will start to realize I'm not the source of the misinformation that you purport, only the repeater.

Posted on: 2009/11/9 10:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Here is the article.(I hope)

Attach file:

jpg  (156.47 KB)
553_4afaa17993be2.jpg 1068X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/11/11 6:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thank you Kevin. Brian

Posted on: 2009/11/11 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
i thought the idea was to twist them one way only. If you bend or twist a piece of metal back and forth, back and forth it will fatigue and break.

Have even heard of axles snapping because the driver had a habit of shifting from reverse to forward while the car was still moving.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 21:47
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yeah I agree. I am not sure that reversing the axels will lead to a longer life. I would think that the opposite is more likely!

Posted on: 2009/11/11 22:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved