Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard Plant sets a new record!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
http://jalopnik.com/5398818/dang-detroit-kids-push-abandoned-dump-truck-out-packard-plant-window

<object id="wsj_fp" width="512" height="363"><param name="movie" value="http://s.wsj.net/media/swf/main.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="flashvars" value="videoGUID={D303746F-E29F-49EE-97C5-FC679F9BA3BD}&playerid=1000&plyMediaEnabled=1&configURL=http://wsj.vo.llnwd.net/o28/players/&autoStart=false" base="rtmpt://wsj.fcod.llnwd.net/a1318/o28/video"name="main"></param><embed src="http://s.wsj.net/media/swf/main.swf" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"flashVars="videoGUID={D303746F-E29F-49EE-97C5-FC679F9BA3BD}&playerid=1000&plyMediaEnabled=1&configURL=http://wsj.vo.llnwd.net/o28/players/&autoStart=false" base="rtmpt://wsj.fcod.llnwd.net/a1318/o28/video" name="main" width="512" height="363" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

Posted on: 2009/11/6 16:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Plant sets a new record!!!
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
At least they're not burning the place down. Maybe next time we can get them all to pile into that panel van and drive it out of the window!

Posted on: 2009/11/6 17:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Hey Big Kev,You should change your comment to they haven't burned it down YET.Just a matter of time I am afraid. Brian

Posted on: 2009/11/6 21:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
There is a fire about every two weeks, the DFD lives in fear of an all-out conflagration. I'm suprised the parties that conspired to empty the plant of tennants and take the land havne't arranged this yet. In the meantime it is scrappers burning insulation off of copper wire that are the cause of these fires.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 1:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
I'm not sure which is sadder: a bunch of morons wasting three months of their sorry lives working to push a truck out of a window or the fact that the Wall Street Journal is legitimizing their actions with this video. What has become of journalism in this country?

Another thought: If these clowns were so bold as to invite cameras in on their "effort," why did they have the WSJ conceal their faces? Losers.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 3:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
What idiotic kids, do they have no respect now of days? Over here in Australia many of our old buildings are listed under heritage trust, thus helping to preserve the buildings. Is there something simillar set up in the U.S.? and if so, why isn't this building being preserved? At present I'm aware that it is in a bad state, but correct me if I'm wrong wasn't this the first building (factory) constructed out of concrete? That should hold some sort of value? shouldn't it?

Posted on: 2009/11/7 4:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The building holds immense historical value, but unfortunately the amount of money to bring it back to even remotely close to it's former glory would probably equal the US deficit for the month of October, 2009. In other words, far more than anyone can imagine.

Couple that with the current neighborhood it's in, (as reported by locals) and the cost to secure the premises year round, no one can afford it. I would have liked to have seen someone at least save the main office building and restore it, but even that would have been cost prohibitive.

So, if anyone of our overseas members would like to visit and photograph the Packard plant, at least bring one of these with you along with your camera:

Click to see original Image in a new window

I myself would prefer to go oldskool and bring my Peacemaker:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/11/7 7:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Funny you should show some hand cannons since we just fired a guy last night for bringing a loaded one to work. More than one way to "shoot" a factory...

Posted on: 2009/11/7 7:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I had a friend from Detroit who visited last year, and when we were all going out to the car to go out to dinner one of my local friends said "Shotgun!" (which means they want to ride in the front passenger seat). My Detroit friend ducked for cover.

We all had a good laugh about that. He said its that bad there.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 10:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
What was the point behind doing that. How stupid....

Posted on: 2009/11/7 10:11
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved