Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 200

BigKev, 2T9-626, cooldude980, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Model Info Pages....
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I was thinking the same thing. I may just make the "Lookup" more of a search where you can enter either a model/chassis number or a body number, and it will return back a list of result. So for example if someone put in "733" they would get all the bodys that fall under the 1930 733 Model Number as well as any Body Numbers that would happen to be "733".

Then they can just click on the one they are looking for from the results.

Posted on: 2008/2/14 12:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok this feature has been added. I can enter "5492" to bring up a '54 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan, or enter "5401" to display all the Body Numbers that fall under the 5401 - Clipper Deluxe Chassis.

I am still working on get all the raw data for the 1930's enter into the database. But if you search for "733" chassis, you should see what I am talking about. Currently only the raw basic information is there for the 1930-33 years. That is why I have not made it visible from the "By Year", "By Series" lists yet. I will get all the basic raw info for the 1930-1939 entered, and then go back and fill in the general info sections, options, and model indentification sections. Then once that is done I will publish the entire decade at once for public consumption.

I will still need some help on fact checking and also locating as many of the model pictures as possible.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2008/2/14 12:41
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Man, that was quick - new search feature works like a champ, too!

The V8 Clipper was just an easy example to justify my request. Now, try searching on Chassis 2201, and you'll see how it picks up models from multiple years as well.

Meanwhile, it was a real pleasure working with you on the initial write-ups for the V8s and the recent update for the Packardbakers. I hope people who have extensive experience with 30s-era Packards give you some help, now.

It would be great if they come up with original brochures - not only for pix for the Model Info pages, but a complete scan for the archives.

Keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2008/2/14 13:41
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I think I am about cross-eyed at the moment after manually entering all the raw data for 1930's into the database.

So now the 1930-1939 is now online. It is just the raw data at this point. I still need to back fill the General Info sections as well as the company information, Model Identification Info, and the Options Info. Those I will fill in over the next week or so.

Also if anyone has brochures, literature, or any other pictures for any of the missing model pics, then please help by sending me a scanned copy so we have a complete set to go with all the Model Info pages.

So after the 30's is cleaned up a little bit more, then the on to the roaring 20's!

Currently the following years are now available:

1958-1946 (Pretty Much 100% Complete)
1942-1940 (Missing Pics)
1939-1930 (Only Raw Data available at the moment, and Missing Pics)
1899-1915 (Missing Pics)

Just to give you an idea of how many individule model/body variants that represents, currently there are 839 records in the database. Each one of those represents a single model/body variant and was entered by hand. By the time the 20's and the rest of the Teens are added, there will be information on over 1,000 different Packard model/body variants. This doesnt include any trucks or commerical vehicles.

Posted on: 2008/2/27 2:20
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ron Ferguson
See User information
BigKev - Who turned it into a race?
Your spending more time on the key board than with your Packard. Slow down and smell the flowers. Before ya know it your hair will fall out or turn grey like ours did.
Get your baby ready for a spring cruise - its warming up nice and the leaves are starting to pop out on the trees.

Posted on: 2008/2/27 7:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not a race, just want to get it done so I can move forward with some other improvements I would like to make to the site. Some of which are going to use all this data on the backend.

This the Model Info project is actually been under development for about 16 months now. I have just tried to make a big push the last month or so to get all the Pre-War years filled in.

Posted on: 2008/2/27 16:35
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just a quick note, the Pre-War years that are currently up are just a first pass, rough draft that was done using a single point of reference just to get all the models into the database. I still need to go back through the entire listing and fact check everything with the the other references I have at access to.

So if you see anything that is in error, please let me know about it though an email so I can fix that. None of the references are %100, so you have to read through them all go with the most logical and verifiable result.

For example the recent discussion in the Pre-War Forum in regards to the 1936 120-B 899 vs 999. The PAC website lists it as 899 and I have seen this in other resources as well. But all the models in the 1936 year that are Packard Bodied are 9xx format. Plus a gentleman was a 999 stamped on his vin plate, and the Making of Modern Michigan website has several 1939 999's listed in their photo gallery. Also there is a 1935 899 (which follows the numbering scheme). So given all the the 999 appears to be correct, even thought it is cited as 899 in other resources.

Another thing to remember is that when some one (an editor, reseracher, etc) is compiling all this information for any resource, after awhile everything becomes a blurr, and mistakes happen. That's why pencils have erasers. Sometimes those errors get into print, and then are cited as fact. Even original Packard produced material sometimes is in conflict with itself.

For anyone interested in what reference material I use, I list all of them as source material at the bottom of the Model Info pages.

I am going to be traveling in Boston all next week, so I am going to be pretty invisible next week. But hopefully I can start cross-referencing all the material upon my return.

Thanks for you continued support.

Posted on: 2008/2/29 12:30
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok the 1930-1939 section is now done. (Except for any missing pics).

If you find anything that is in error please let me know so I can fix it. All of this is based on a couple of reference materials I have. So there could be a combination of errors in those, and also with me manually typing everthing into the database. I am taking alot of the information verbatim out of the references I have, so please bear with me as I am not a Pre-War guru by any means.

Each model should now have the basic technical specs, general model chassis description. Also the Model Year list page should contain the ID/Serial number information, general options list, as well as introduction dates.

I will be starting on the 20's here in the next couple of weeks.

The following Years are now online and done (expect missing pics, and error corrections)

1958-1946
-1945-1943 > NO PASSENGER CAR PRODUCTION BECAUSE OF WWII
1942-1930
1915-1899

The next set will be 1929-1920 followed of course by 1919-1916.

Thanks,

Posted on: 2008/4/4 15:48
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
If anyone interested in the 57th and 58th Series cars has looked at the Model Info pages, perhaps you noticed that the text seemed scant or incomplete compared to that of previous Series. Believe me, there was no intent to diminish coverage of those models.

I happened be looking over the '57-'58 entries today and found them ALL to be truncated. That was particularly troubling to me since I wrote the text for all those models offline in MS-Word, then pasted them, completely, into the entry screen.

Luckily, I had saved those write-ups, and a little extra sleuthing revealed that the truncation occurred at some special characters that Word applies for punctuation, rather than plain text, which appear to cause problems in web pages.

Know that I have now replaced the offending characters and completely replaced the text in the affected pages. I hope you find the corrected text to be sufficient, but apologize for any confusion that this anomaly may have caused.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 18:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved