Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Packard - Removing the Thermostat Housing Bolts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Just a basic question for the forum members who deal with this issue, I'm sure over and over. After a month or so of debating whether to put alot of force to remove the 2 bolts that hold down the thermostat flange (cover) I decided to go for it. I bought a torque wrench and leaned into it. I think it was coming loose and then all of a sudden - snap! The bolt broke in half. So my question is - where did I go wrong? I hit it with WD40 about a week ago. A friend told me I needed to remove it while it was hot. I'm taking it over to an auto repair shop tomorrow where I'm hoping they can remove the half bolt left in the head and while it's in there, I'll have them put in the new thermostat. I was cranking it to the counterclockwise when it snapped. Thanks for the advice.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 20:42
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 Packard - Removing the Thermostat Housing Bolts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's a happenstance that comes with the hobby and bites all of us at some time. But for the future, WD-40 is a decent rust preventative but almost ineffective at loosening it. Try PB-Blaster, perhaps the best, next time. Croil is another. Heat would have helped.

Good machine shops deal with this all the time, I'm sure they'll get you back in business in no time.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 20:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I have read on a number of websites that a 50:50 mixture of automatic trans. fluid and acetone works very well but PB Blaster what I use.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Heat is about the only thing that would have helped. I mean the kind of heat you get from an acetylene torch or electric arc welder with a carbon rod. Heat it red.

I've never seen a penetrating oil that will penetrate a tight, seized or rusted nut or bolt. WD40 is the most over rated product on the market.

I have had some success with sandblasting. After sandblasting off the rust, rusty bolts come loose much more easily. I mean where the bolt is sticking out of the nut.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 21:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have had considerable success using an impact gun and of course six-point impact sockets. I always spray with PB Blaster the day before. The impact gun does not put a constant twisting strain on the part.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 21:46
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I agree with Randy. An impact gun is great for removing stuck fasteners without snapping them. A torque wrench is not needed for removing fasteners, only tightening them to recommend specs.

WD is just about worthless as a penetrator. Buy some PB Blaster, hit the area with a wire brush to remove any paint or rust scale, and then soak with PB Blaster. Give it a day to soak in really good, and then a coupe of hits with an Impact gun should break it loose without snapping it.

The hammering action of the Impact sends the force down the length of the bolt helping to break it free. As opposed to just a socket wrench that will simply twist the head off of a stuck bolt.

Luckily the thermostat bolts should be very easy to drill out.

Posted on: 2009/11/11 22:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thanks All for the advice. Tomorrow - I'll get the estimate to fix - Frank

Posted on: 2009/11/12 18:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved