Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 94

michael biegas, Ozstatman, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 electric window motors
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

33su8
See User information
We are restoring a 56 Packard 400. The front and rear driver's side windows need new motors. Are there any other makes of window motors that could be adapted to work. I am a non-mechanic and would appreciate any suggestions.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 9:20
 Top  Print 

Re: 56 electric window motors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know about swap-outs or conversions, but NOS motors can still be found, often the one that has failed can be repaired, and used ones are plentiful, so I don't see the need for conversion.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 10:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
It really is easier to put original Packard motors on the car than goof around with a conversion. There are plenty of the original motors out there and eBay is a good source.

Posted on: 2009/11/14 19:39
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

33su8
See User information
Thanks for the info

Posted on: 2009/11/15 21:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
I suspect that what may be happening to a lot of these motors is similar in nature to what I am finding with most pushbutton actuator motors--the grease in the gearing attached is aged and petrifying and the motor lead wires are suffering from age and the isulation is cracking.
On the Pushbutton motors I now stock ample quanities of the four colors of 12 GA wire, including the elusive gray color (not that elusive, if you know where to buy wire) and every unit is completely dissassembled and all mechanical parts go through my parts cleaner, then re-assembled using modern grease. No one in the modern commercial auto electric business likes working on anything this small, they are used to motors the size of a starter, and complain bitterly about the conditions of working on small motors like the window motors.
I would try to take them apart and inspect everything, thouroughly clean and relubricate the gearing and replace the primary wires if they look marginal. If you are not comfortible doing the wiring find a shop that will do the work locally, or you could send me one to look at, I probably could replace those wires the right way (going directly to the brush and field connections as I do with the PB motors, no lazy shortcuts). Being inside the car's closed body those wires may be just fine, in which case leave well enough alone.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 9:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
As Mr PB said, the biggest problem with those motors is old grease. There is also a missing bearing where the shaft becomes the worm drive and allows the shaft to flex and break at that point. Bob Aller used to make these small bronze bushings and they supported the motor shaft much better.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 11:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bottom line to all - if you buy a new one, don't throw out the old one!!! Cores will become valuable at some point in the future, if they're not so already. Same thinking applies to many other parts.

Posted on: 2009/11/16 11:12
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved