Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 231

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'47 Clipper Deluxe backfiring power loss
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
Thought I'd try you guys on this. The engine starts and idles well. I get her on the road and will cruise around for 15-20 minutes and it drives like a dream, then if I run her up to 55, the power will just die off and 35 is all I can do in 3rd gear without backfiring repeatedly. The engine runs a little rough at idle then, but pull the throttle and BANG!. If I shift to 2nd and just release the clutch it will backfire like a banshee. I limp back home with a bunch of pissed off people behind me then the next morning I can do the whole process of good-bad-worse again. What I've done is:

New plugs .025 gap
New Packard 440 wires
New Distributor cap
Took wires out of the metal guide

Another question I have is shouldn't the sed bulb be full? Mine is never full and usually has only a dribble of fuel in it. Seems that for a sed buld to collect sed & water it should always be full.

Thanks

Posted on: 2009/11/27 4:01
 Top  Print   

Re: '47 Clipper Deluxe backfiring power loss
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Was the car running OK before you changed the plugs etc.? If not then I suspect that it may be a coil going bad when warmed up. It could also be a short or open circuit in the primary ignition wire which could cause intermittent coil failure but why when only warm? A bad condensor will also cause a backfire so possible change that also.
Another cause of a backfire could be fuel starvation but since the problem occurs after the engine is warm I suspect the coil. The sediment bowl should be full or at least almost full at all times so a check of fuel pump pressure is in order or the filter element might be plugged or there is something in the gas tank or line restricting flow. I amsure others will chime in with other ideas.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 8:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U replaced some parts. Did the car act that way BEFORE u replaced the parts?????

If th car ran fine before u did the tune up then most likely it's plug problem. What kind of plugs are in there now and what was in there BEFORE????

Posted on: 2009/11/27 8:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I vote for the condensor (having lived through similar symptons in the past), followed by the coil. Condensors are cheaper than coils so I usually start there. Fuel starvation causes through-the-carb backfires. Ignition problems --usually--give through the exhaust backfires.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 21:40
 Top  Print   

Re: '46 Clipper Deluxe backfiring power loss
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
Thanks guys, it was worse before the "tune up". In the dark there was light dancing all over the wires and cap. The coil is probably 10-yrs old, condenser as well. I looked at some coils on line and most appear rebuilt. Are there any new coils being made by anybody? Also what is the armored cable coming out the back of the coil?

I'll get the condenser and try that first. Is there a compatible condenser that AutoZone/Advanced/NAPA would have in stock?

I never gave the sed bulb much thought till I went to an antique tractor show and every engine had a nice full bulb.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 1:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
The wire out of the back of the coil is neg connection which goes to the ignition. The coil is a transformer that needs AC voltage to work. Finding a new coil with the connection on the back is expensive $100-300. Generic 6v coils can be found at old time auto parts web site(or something like that) for about $12. You have to run a wire from the front of the coil to the rear connection.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is there a compatible condenser that AutoZone/Advanced/NAPA would have in stock?

Application-specific condensors for these old cars have been long gone, just ask for a "universal" 6 volt condensor, just get one with a long-enough lead to reach the connection point.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 9:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Typical value for ignition condenser is .22ufd or microfarads.

You should be able to pick one up at an electronics shop.The new ones are a lot more durable than the old wax paper and tinfoil jobs. Should last the life of the car.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Dear KA, I have the same problem with my sediment bowl. If I let my car sit for longer than, say 5-6 hours, I have to "bleed" it in order for the bowl to fill. I have an electric pump on mine so this is fairly easy. I turn on the pump and loosen the nut on the bottom of the bowl a bit until the bowl fills. Tighten it back up and off I go!

Posted on: 2009/11/28 12:24
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
Great Info! Bought the correct coil off ebay $131 includes shipping, and a 6 v elec fuel pump ran about $60 with the shipping. I'll find the condenser Monday then start to dig in. thanks again gentlemen!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2009/11/28 19:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved