Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 210

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '47 Clipper Deluxe backfiring power loss
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

scottie wrote:
Dear KA, I have the same problem with my sediment bowl. If I let my car sit for longer than, say 5-6 hours, I have to "bleed" it in order for the bowl to fill. I have an electric pump on mine so this is fairly easy. I turn on the pump and loosen the nut on the bottom of the bowl a bit until the bowl fills. Tighten it back up and off I go!

Scottie, this is not a normal condition. Could it be that your gas tank vent is not venting? Just a suggestion.

Posted on: 2009/11/29 11:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I also had the same symptom of low gas level in bowl. Turned out to be varnish in the ceramic filter element. Car ran, element looked clean & could blow thru and seemed clear but apparently not clear enough for much gas flow. As soon as I changed it, all was well.

Posted on: 2009/11/29 11:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Turned out to be varnish in the ceramic filter element

Not unexpected. Lacquer thinner or ethyl acetate if you find it at your local paint store is an excellent solvent for gasoline varnish and do a nice job of cleaning carb internals as well as the ceramic element of the filter.

But while the filter is out, I'd suggest flow-testing the pump.

Posted on: 2009/11/29 12:13
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
Changed the coil & condenser Saturday. There was was a lot of soot in the coil wire socket. The old condenser was made in Mexico, the new in the US. Took her out Sunday morning and ran at 55-60 for about 20-minutes. No problems at all. Ran her hard that afternoon also. The engine is still not real smooth, I'm pretty sure I have a compression problem in one cylinder. That plug is always sooty.

The other thing I did was take the ceramic filter out of the sediment bulb like someone had suggested. I soaked it in brake cleaner and then blew it out with 150 psi air. The sediment bulb is now nice and full right to the top. Excellent suggestion guys!!

Posted on: 2009/12/7 8:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved