Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 240

Phat Jonny, BigKev, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

EtOH to 15%?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From today's New York Times.

Attach file:

jpg  (211.65 KB)
177_4b16a8abda447.jpg 932X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/12/2 12:49
 Top  Print   

Re: EtOH to 15%?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/12/2 12:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Get out the octane boosters and hope for new rubber. I'll believe a separate pump when I see em. Some things never change though. Isn't that excuse very similar to the natural gas argument a few years ago of not enough supply. Raised prices & overnight all the supply you want and convert to gas from elec wherever possible.

With ethanol, believe it was originally couldn't meet demand, so raise prices. Then it was not efficient or cost more to produce & too much food supply products needed so raise prices. Now it's no demand for our product so use more (and raise prices).

Within the last month there was an article in the local papers about some big ethanol production facility near here closing or had closed. Believe reason was there was low demand due to price. Cost of transporting raw materials too much & not enough raw materials close anymore since the feds decision for more water for some fish caused a water shortage & idled multiple thousands of acres of farmland.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 13:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/12/2 14:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It may have more rating, but I have no faith the special "anti air pollution" crap gas formulations we get out here will take advantage of it.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 14:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Why would you need octane boosters? Ethanol has a higher octane than gasoline, and it burns cooler as well. Say goodbye to overheating flatheads when using Ethanol

Eric, Don't know about ethanol raising the octane? I believe that adding ethanol to gasoline lowers the energy contained in a gallon of fuel which lowers the horse power derived from the motor. This causes MPG to go down which equates to more fuel being burned per mile. Price goes up and milage goes down. Seems like a lose lose situation to me.

What do you think?

Posted on: 2009/12/2 18:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
adding ethanol to gasoline lowers the energy contained in a gallon of fuel which lowers the horse power derived from the motor. This causes MPG to go down which equates to more fuel being burned per mile.

Yes, that's correct.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
ive found ethanol to be unsatifactory in super low compression lawnmowers its gonna suck in a 10:1 Packard V8.

My interest in engines runs the gamut from chainsaws to Packards, Diamond Reos, Dodges, Boats ect ect... you get the idea! nothing runs as well as it did. nothing.

I have yet to find an engine that ran well on ethanol. My (sold) 66 dodge dart ran better on the stabilized three year old gas in the tank than on the first fillup of E10. Same thing as an old lawn tractor i pulled out of a boneyard a few years ago. Same as the old boat. the list goes on.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 19:51
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/12/2 20:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps we both need to dust off our thermodynamics texts. But I don't believe that raising octane is the same as raising the contained energy. If I'm not mistaken EPA has confirmed lesser mileage with 10% ethanol than without it.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 20:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved