Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hubcaps on the 22nd Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Can anyone tell me what the correct hubcap is for my car which is an early 1948 22nd Series Six Export Touring Sedan which was exported to S. Africa and is now residing in the UK and under full restoration.

The ones fitted are very plain - no hex. to the centre just an impressed circle painted the body colour - are these correct ?

Also were ALL the wheels on the different models the same size/specification/hubcap fixings ? - because if so one could presumeably "upgrade" to caps with the Packard hex. and the legend "Packard Six" ?

Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (46.24 KB)
1329_4b17a092c6ccc.jpg 423X317 px

Posted on: 2009/12/3 6:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Hubcaps on the 22nd Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Neither your cap nor your wheel are Packard, at least not what we got on this side of the Atlantic. Perhaps they were locally sourced to help with import duty back in the day. I'll try to get you a shot of what would have been on that car if sold here, but you can probably see them in the photo archive here. In the postwar era, none of the caps mentioned six or eight, and through 54 usually had a red hex surrounded by "PACKARD" two times on a black field.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 23:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Ross - photos would be agreat help - wait to see what the American wheels look like.

I assume that any repro/retro fit "new" hubcaps are not going to fit ?

Best regards Michael

By the way this is not the first thing I have found on my 22nd Series that is not in line with U.S cars - brake master cyl. is odd too as is the gear shift mechanism.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 7:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Michael

That is not the correct hubcaps. Dont know about the wheel though. Mine also seems to have incorrect rims so that the real 50 hubcaps dont fit. I also cant get any for a reasonable price. Therefore I opted for the 51 to 54 full face hubcaps with little 'teeth' that crips the outside rim. They therefore will cover my non original rims fulle and I dont need the huge expense of the original caps and beauty trims. (ANyway, nobody in RSA will know the difference! Sorry to all the purists!) Please see my photos in my project blog.

The gear shift, clutch and throttle arangement is totally different on the right hand drive cars as found in South Africa. I can send you pictures if you want.

Greetings
Barrie

Posted on: 2009/12/8 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I don't feel like going outside and clearing all the snow, but if you can enlarge this pic, you'll see the believed to be correct hubcaps on my car.

Attach file:

jpg  (155.43 KB)
1470_4b1ea28ab0465.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/12/8 14:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Whoops Barrie

Didn't see your posting here before I had sent you the pm earlier today - I think my hubcaps are correct as mine is the lowly baby SIX Touring Sedan based on the Taxi - look at a Taxi photo and I'm sure they came plain like mine not even a Hex in the centre just a depression - photo posted here of your "improved" wheel would be great.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/12/9 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I don't currently have any direct evidence about the caps and wheels delivered on export cars. But, the picture is of the U.S. taxis. I believe they and the exports were equipped the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.29 KB)
462_4b206b48351c2.jpg 395X403 px

Posted on: 2009/12/9 22:30
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks David

I've now been in touch with Adrian Trebicki the previous owner who restored the car back in 1968-69 while it was in Rhodesia and he tells me that "the hubcaps were original Packard ones that came with the car but the hexagonal brass/chrome centres coverings were corroded so badly that I removed them and just chromed the remaining hubcap"

I'm going to re-chrome them again during my restoration and refit and maybe just as a token paint the little centre depression red.

One other query while we are on wheels and things : my wheels are 16" dia. fitted with crossply 650 X 16 tyres - are they all correct with U.S.A spec. cars ?

Any comments appreciated.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/12/18 13:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was an option available in some years for the hexes using 3M red reflective tape type material. Used to be available at PAC but I didn't see them listed on the PAC website to give an example or details so maybe out of stock or another vendor had them. Anyway, rather than paint, maybe obtain some of the reflective tape and cut them neatly. The accessory items were die cut with slightly rounded corners and fit neatly over the paint into the original recessed hex. Not sure if you still have that much left but maybe something to consider.

EDIT Max Merritt has the ones for 48. Select 48 to 54 and type in decal if you want to see a photo.http://www.maxmerrittauto.com/

Posted on: 2009/12/18 13:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
I just got a set from Max Merritt and they fit perfect on my '49 Deluxe Eight (23rd Series). (Much easier then trying to paint them or trim the material to size.) I tried to order from PAC, but it took forever to figure out that they were out of them and then to get a refund off my credit card.

Posted on: 2009/12/18 15:03
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved