Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 162

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

V8 Manual Bellhousing Questions
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
I know this has been covered Many, Many, times. But I couldn't find the info I was looking for when searching the forums.

How many different styles/part numbers are there for the Manual transmission bell housing for the V8 motors?(pics would be nice if anyone has them)

Also how many of those parts were produced?(approximately)

Then lastly what transmissions will bolt up to them and what mods and parts would I use? (T-5, T-10, do I use the ford or Packard clutch and pressure plate?)

Thank you so very much for the knowledge.

"Ask a man that owns 5 of them."

Ryan

Posted on: 2009/12/7 19:02
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 Manual Bellhousing Questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information

Posted on: 2009/12/7 19:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
Do you know if there is a difference between the 55 and 56 bell housing?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 19:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Appears to be the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (4.49 KB)
209_4b1d9d007d1c5.jpg 384X85 px

Posted on: 2009/12/7 19:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The bellhousings are identical, and the only transmissions that will bolt up is the stock T85, and Ford T85's, along with all Ford manual transmissions UP TO '64. Some later transmissions used a dual bolt pattern, with 8 holes total, and those will also bolt up to the Packard bellhousing. A Ford T10 4 speed works really well, if it's the early one or it has the dual bolt pattern. I've researched this quite extensively, and have quite a lot of experience with V8 manual bellhousings.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 19:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
Part of the reason that I ask is that I was told that the attached pic was a Packard motor with a manual bell housing. It looks a little different than the others I have seen.

Can anyone identify this?

Attach file:

jpg  (10.56 KB)
998_4b1da6737fec5.jpg 300X225 px

Posted on: 2009/12/7 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Looks like a Ford flathead V8 bellhousing. They will fit, with a little modification and some redrilling of the mounting holes. I have one for a Ford truck trans that was made to fit a Packard V8, but never used it because the only transmissions that will fit are stump pulling granny gear transmissions. Not too sporty IMHO.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 21:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
Do you know what year ford bell housing that might be? I can get one of those for little to nothing compared to trying to get this one shipped to me. Ooooor do you know anyone that would be willing to part with a Packard bell,flywheel? I have some money put aside but not a ton. Holidays are coming up...

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The Ford bellhousing takes more work than it's worth to bother with, IMHO. As for the year, I couldn't tell you, I'm not a vintage Ford guy. But, it looks like a truck to me.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Questions on V8s will be seen sooner get more answers over on the V8 forum.

1. Yes, the pre-1965.5 Ford transmissions and the later dual-pattern Ford transmissions will bolt up to the Packard bellhousing. The later transmissions will have a larger front bearing retainer which will have to be changed to the earlier version.
2. No, Ford used several different input shaft lengths and not all will be a direct interchange with the Packard. Some will have to be shortened, some will require a pilot bearing extender.
3. Maybe, the Ford input shaft and the Packard clutch splines will match. Some are, some aren't.
4. Studebaker used the same Ford bolt pattern on many 3-speeds and T10 4-speeds. Don't try to put a Studebaker Borg-Warner T86 3-speed transmission behind a Packard. It isn't sufficiently strong. Only the T85/T89/T10 will work, albiet with shortened input shaft.
5. AMC used the Ford bolt pattern as well, but their input shafts are too long and will have to be shortened.

Bottom line - get a complete conversion from a Clipper or a '56 Golden Hawk. Buying it one piece at a time is by far the most expensive way to get a manual transmission.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/12/13 16:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved