Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

JohnCB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: New-to-me Packard V-8 trivia!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Quote:

What I would like to know is what happened to the Packard engine tooling. If Studebaker couldn't use it why didn't they sell it? A truck manufacturer could have used it, the way LaFrance and Seagrave used Pierce Arrow and Auburn 12s long after the car companies went out of business.

I can't believe a practically new engine factory was sold for scrap. But what happened to it?

I have wondered about this ever since I first became interested in the '55-'56 Packards!

From all I've read, it was a "modern" engine produced on a state-of-the-art assembly line.

Did no one see any value in continuing to produce them??

Posted on: 2009/12/12 1:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Did no one see any value in continuing to produce them??

Obviously, no.

Chevrolet did go so far as to commission a feasibility study about buying the Packard V8 tooling. In the end, they decided there was no real value to the Packard V8 tooling and possibly negative publicity to using an orphan design. They decided to build their own big block.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/12/12 1:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Another thought...IIRC, wasn't the Studebaker V-8 an older design?

I know things were chaotic when Packards stopped being produced in Detroit, but since the V-8 was being installed in Golden Hawks anyway, did anyone give any thought to installing Packard V-8s in the rest of the Studebaker line, rather than continuing to use the 289?

Posted on: 2009/12/12 1:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Curtis Wright took over the Utica Plant.They converted it to aircraft engine production which was no big deal as Packard was making Jet engines up until the time Engine Charlie Wilson decided that it would be better to consolidate Government contracts for construction with just one supplier.Gee.I wonder why he chose GM?

Posted on: 2009/12/12 4:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
IMHO, it was just such a waste to spend all that time, money, and talent to turn out a successful (overall) new design, then use it for less than 2 years.

Ah well...with the wherewithal, a garage, a '55-'56 chassis/engine, and the right prewar trashed Packard coupe body.....

Posted on: 2009/12/12 16:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From all the reports/reviews I remember reading, the Packard V8 was somewhat poorly reviewed when used in the GH as being too heavy for the frame. Believe one reviewer said he turned but the car didn't. Some members here that owned them dispute that, but still I think that was one of the reasons they chose the older engine. Also believe the TU being the only auto that had been fitted was not well received either as it was supposed to be a sporty type car and we know what happens when racing TU's.

Posted on: 2009/12/12 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There was a comparable situation a few years later at the Buick plant. They brought out an all new, aluminum V8 in 1961.In 1962 they introduced a cast iron V6 based on the aluminum V8.

Then they decided they needed a bigger engine which was a brand new design for 1965.

At this point they sold the aluminum V8 to Rover and the V6 to Jeep.

Rover continued to make the aluminum V8 for years, so far as I know they are still making them.

Jeep made the V6 for 10 years then Buick went and bought it back. They took the tooling back to the Buick plant and reinstalled it in the same place they had it 10 years before.

What I am driving at is this. The Packard was a new engine with a lot of expensive new machine tools to make it. I believe they spent $5,000,000 in total. The engine and tooling had a life of at least 20 years ahead of it.

Was Studebaker Packard so flush with money at that time that they could throw that all away without a thought? Hardly likely. So what did they do with it?

Posted on: 2009/12/13 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Was Studebaker Packard so flush with money at that time that they could throw that all away without a thought? Hardly likely. So what did they do with it?

There was so much smoke-and-mirrors accounting going on with Curtiss-Wright taking over Studebaker-Packard's tax losses to balance out their huge government contract profits, S-Ps buying and selling of smaller subsidiaries such as Gravely, STP, Paxton, no one will ever know the short-term reasons all the closures and re-alignments took place. However, the real bottom line was the S-P Board of Directors made the decision to get out of automotive manufacturing in early 1955. Everything which happened subsequent to that decision was aimed at making sure the unions, the dealers and the taxpayer took the worst hits, while the fat cats made what money they could or lost as little as possible. The various federal agencies seemed to have cooperated in the process at the very highest levels.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/12/13 14:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
FYI the aluminum Buick engine was discontinued at Rover 3 or 4 yrs ago, but it sure had a long lifespan! It was even installed in MGB-V8s in the UK (never brought here) for a few years in the mid 70s.

Too bad they scrapped the Packard V8 production line, with refinement it potentially was the strongest V8 ever!

Posted on: 2009/12/15 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JV writes:
"S-Ps buying and selling of smaller subsidiaries such as Gravely, STP, Paxton, no ..."

Was there also a subsid called "Big-4" ???? Made various shop equpment, a tire changer IIRC.

Also, can u give us a little history on the Studebaker/Mercedes connexion???? Was it just a sales agreement like AMC/Renault???? When did it start and end????

On 11 mile road in Royal Oak michigan about 1 block east of Woodward (US-1 or M-1) i remeber a very small Studebaker dealer that was in bussiness there up thru about 1973. Odd that it was located in a slightly UP scale older residential neighborhood. I remeber Larks mostly in the tiny 2 car show room. Had about a 6 bay garage. Very nice brick building but nothing fancey. Do not recall the name.

Also, downtown Nashville Tn. on 7th ave. and Church street there was a Studebaker dealer. About 8 floors high w/basement. I parked in it many times as it was converted to a parking structure. I have little or no other info on the site.

Posted on: 2009/12/15 21:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved