Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

So I went to Ebay today and looked at Packards for sale...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
...and there were 3 different early 50's Packards listed that MIGHT have made good PARTS cars, but that's all!

I'm always a bit irked when people list an old car for sale just BECAUSE it's old.

I know anything can be restored if someone wants to badly enough and has the money, talent, and time to do so, but c'mon!

Some cars are just too far gone. Even Packards...

Just my opinion....

Posted on: 2009/12/23 16:22
 Top  Print   

Re: So I went to Ebay today and looked at Packards for sale...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
They didn't list them because they are old. They listed them because they want rid of them. Can you blame them?

At least they didn't call the junkyard and have them towed to the crusher. Maybe someone can get some useful parts cheap.

Posted on: 2009/12/23 17:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I didn't see the auction, condition or price or location of the cars. Quite often such cars, if cheap and easy enuf, are good for mock-up or just for study especialy if one owns the same model. Ever looked at something on YOUR car and wondered how it was spotwelded together????

Posted on: 2009/12/23 18:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
And exactly what is wrong with selling a parts car??

Posted on: 2009/12/23 21:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
For a prime example of what Rusty said, hop over to the AACA.org site and check the Buick forum under the thread "step up to the plate". The opening post and pictures says it all. The kid was actually taking it to the crusher. And to further illustrate, I will try to take some pictures of the car my wife and I have dubbed the "Disastermobile". In spite of its condition I will NOT crush it. It has valuable parts on it for someone and it will find a good home and continue to live on in some fashion.

P.S. here is the picture

Attach file:

jpg  (46.41 KB)
430_4b33e19499d90.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/12/24 9:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Everyone has different standards for their cars. Some only want a daily driver, not a trailer queen. I applaud those who take cars that are "too far gone" and revive them. I'm sure most people would have only bought my car for a parts car because of the rust in the floors and various other places. I'll fix the floors and the body to the best of my abilities and learn in the process. If you are looking for a quick fix or something that doesn't need a lot of work, just keep looking or pay more money for better examples. For me, as well as others, the joy of fixing, learning and experiencing these classics, even in poorer condition gives them value.

That Buick that Al referenced, looks like something I would drive around as is! I got plenty of thumbs up in my Packard (when it was moving) in it's rough shape. Can't wait until it has some paint on it!

Posted on: 2009/12/24 11:09
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
I would be very reluctant to crush any of these classic cars regardless of condition. There have been examples of cars that were really nothing more than a VIN number and a frame but because of supply and increasing demand have brought alot of money. Granted some of these cars were near one of a kind examples but I've talked with people that have let old classics sit out in a field/sink hole for years who now regret not having at least covered them up. Still - it beats sending them to the crusher. Can you imagine how it would feel to be a person who sent a Caribbean to the crusher even 20 years ago because they needed the room (I can understand when this happens cause I gave up a 74 Nova SS for the same reason - which I regret) A close family member of mine had a MB 70's 280 SEL 3.5 Cabriolet Automatic that is worth more than most houses today that I wish we had kept in the family. My sense is that Packards and I mean all models are going to go up in value given supply and demand and since they serve as a good hedge against inflation (and get ready cause it's coming with the USG deficit we are running). It only takes one of its type to score well in a reputable auction to pull the whole class up. So - I encourage everyone to keep working toward making these beautiful cars the best they can be. If I had the room, I would be one of those guys to buy every Packard I could as a long term investment. Merry Christmas to All and Thank You for all of the advice this year!!

Posted on: 2009/12/24 11:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Frank, I couldn't agree more. I originally purchased my '57 just to keep her from the crusher. When I get some dollars ahead, I'm going to turn her into my daily driver, regardless of the fact that for a good long while, I'll probably be driving her with extra seat cushions hidden beneath cheap seat covers! There just aren't too many of these little gems left. They might look a bit rough, (see my pic of my '57!) but at least they were built well enough originally that you CAN restore them. I don't think you can say the same for much of anything built in the last twenty years or so. Too much "disposable" thought process.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 13:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My car would have went into the crusher if I didn't buy it for $500. Will I ever get back what I put into it? Monetarily no, emotional yes.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 13:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I for one am thankful every day that you bought that Clipper Kev. It prompted you to build this website and I spend a lot of time here learning many things I did not know and making some new friends in the process.

Posted on: 2009/12/24 14:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved