Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 129

Packwagon, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Removing Hub from Axle on my '51- Assistance Please!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Right you are, Randy!

Problem is that the front of the can of WD-40 states that it "Loosens Rusted Parts". Then, the list of uses on the back advises that the product penetrates stuck parts. While nowhere on the product does it claim to be a "penetrating oil", I can see why some people mistake it as such. Even Wikipedia includes WD-40 in their examples of penetrating oils.

While WD-40 does have its uses, even in the garage, I believe the better (that is, faster-acting) penetrating oils contain more than just a thin lubricant, but some sort of acid.

My favorite penetrating oil has been Zep-45, which I first learned about over 25 years ago. Though pricey, a little goes along way; when it comes to routine mainenance and service on my daily drivers, one can will last me for several years. Also Zep-45 only has a faint odor (kinda like bananas) - unlike PB Blaster, which has a smell that really bothers me. However, while you may have seen some other Zep products in DIY stores, Zep-45 is one of their many cleaning and maintenance products that they only sell direct to commercial users, like dealerships. Even when I wasn't working in a dealership, I had some contacts in the biz who used the stuff and would sell me a can.

However, I don't know if Zep does business in or ships to Australia.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 10:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks Randy. I had checked out a source of PB Blaster (- which is a new name to me, had not heard of it in Oz apart from on packardinfo). Couldn't find a 'local' distributor so needs further investigation to find one. Had the WD40 on hand.
I'll be getting some PB . . .it seems to be what most Packarders are using!

Incidentally, while checking for the PB I came across info that is of interest, a supposedly 'tested and true (?)' comparison between several penetrants. Here is the link:

http://www.ozmazdaclub.com/forums/lounge-room/2635-do-we-have-pb-blaster.html

PB Blaster looks good. Of course practical experience might contradict these results. I have found the intense gaze of a Mother-in-Law usually causes things to come apart. lol
(Luckily I have a very nice M-in-Law).

Posted on: 2010/1/1 19:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Zep 45 BH mentions sounds good, but it sure is pricey at $20 a can from a couple of places on the web that say they carry it and don't appear to require a log in.

More interesting is the comparison test rating the liquid wrench as doing so well. I have found that not the case and equally surprising is the closeness of the PB Blaster and WD40. Also, the home brew mixture of acetone and ATF outshines them all.

Based on their results, I'd first like to know how their scientifically rusted bolts compares to ones rusted the old fashioned or normal way by sitting on a car 50 years.

Posted on: 2010/1/1 20:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved