Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 107

Ozstatman, Don B, Mike Chirco, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Model Info Pages
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Folks just an update. The Forum Ambassadors and myself are going to make another sweep through Packard Model Info feature here on the website to correct any incomplete and inaccurate information, and also try to find any of the missing illustrations now that we have a larger collection of material to pull from.

Where possible we are going to try to use the Mechanical Specifications and other Packard generated information as the basis for this to help negate the ambiguity that exists in some of the 3rd party reference books.

So if you see any errors, please use this thread to post the corrections so we can double check the facts and get them fixed.

Also we added a new little feature to the bottom of the Model Info pages. So when you view a specific model, it will now show you a list of recommended literature for that model. So things like Service Manual, Owner Manual, Paint Chips, etc. The 51-58 models already have this information added, and we will be adding the other years soon. So please feel free to check it out.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 16:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Model Info Pages
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I went ahead and added some of the Literature links going back to 1946, and a couple to 1942.

I need someone to double check the Clipper Chassis numbers for 1941 and 1942 to make sure they are correct. One that is in question for me is 1942 2024 Chassis.

I have 3 listed, and yet only 2 are Clippers. Is this correct?

2024 > 1562 One-Sixty Super Eight Touring Sedan

2024 >1572 One-Sixty Super Eight Clipper Touring Sedan

2024 > 1575 One-Sixty Super Eight Clipper Club Sedan

Also in 1954 the factory specifications list a Patrician Formal Sedan. So I added it to the model list, but I have no weight, production, or pricing information on it. Was this ever produced?

Another anomaly is the lack of the 1953 Sportster on the factory specifications. But perhaps it was released later like the Caribbean was as it is not listed on the initial specification either.

Also should we add the commercial chassis information to the specifications?

Posted on: 2010/1/9 19:24
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I know very little about the PreWar Packards, but the Turnquist book doesn't show anything about a 2024 model.

However, it does list 1572 and 1575 body styles for the the Model 2003 Clipper. The 1562 body style turns up under Model 2004 Touring Sedan, which is not a Clipper. The 2003 > 1575 and the 2004 >1562 are pictured in chapter on 20th Series. I wonder if the 2024 that appears in the Model Info feature was just some sort of typo.

WRT to the '54 Formal Sedan, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 5453 is to 5452 (both on the 5406 chassis) as 2653 is to 2652 (on the 2606 chassis) - a Derham Formal edition/conversion of the Patrician sedan. I haven't found any info on it, either. It might have been on the boards, but never produced.

I'm not familiar with a "1953 Sportster" - other than the Clipper model, which I thought was displayed with specs in the Model Info.

IMHO, I'd include any model you have some information on and use the Gen'l Info section to note it as an "unknown" with a request for specific information.

I hope this helps, but hope that others with more knowledge than me can provide affirmation or clarification.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 20:19
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Brian,

Thanks for the info. I just found this in the Service Letter Vol15 No17. Now it doesnt specifically call any Clipper models out. But this should be a good guide to match up the Chassis and Body Numbers.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.77 KB)
1_4b492f574812e.jpg 1018X751 px

Posted on: 2010/1/9 20:37
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're asking if any 53 and 54 Derham formal sedans were produced on the Patrician chassis, the answer is yes and several from each years still exist, I came close to buying a 53 some years back. I believe there were 25 made in 53; in any case the #s produced is a matter of record, I can did out the actual production numbers if you wish.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 20:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dave,

I knew of the existence of the '53 ones. It was the '54 Derhams that I wasn't sure were actually produced. Yes any production numbers would be great! Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 20:40
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, there also were Derham versions of the 54 lwb limos and I believe there is a picture of one on our site, it's maroon and is(was?) owned by George Hamlin. Another was the last limo of Mrs. J. W. Packard and there is a well-known photo of her getting in or out. I don't believe the lwb Derhams were factory offerings, though. Could be wrong about that, I'll read up on it, maybe tonight after Dallas (who I detest) puts the Eagles to sleep.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 20:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Kev -

Great find on that page from a Service Letter! You may be less likely to run into errors with information that close to the point of origin.

Hope we continue to get more material like that.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 20:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
1954 Henney Packard on 149 inch wheel base.

Chassis number 5426

5450 8 passenger corporation limo weight 4,720lbs, price $5,960, number produced 35.

5451 8 passenge 4 door executive sedan weight 4,650, price $5,610, number produced 65.

My mistake Owen which is corrected.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/1/9 21:06
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, are you sure those numbers are for the Derham version (with padded roof, small oval rear window, etc.)? Without looking it up, those #s sound like just the standard factory 8-pass lwb cars.

PS - here's a picture of a 54 Derham lwb, John, compare this to a picture of the standard 8-pass sedan or limo, different cars. The open question is whether the Derham versions were legit factory offerings or just post-sale actions taken by individual owners who contracted with Derham. I do believe the regular Patrician Derhams in 53 and 54 were factory-optioned.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.07 KB)
177_4b4939837e1f3.jpg 1217X793 px

Posted on: 2010/1/9 21:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved