Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Model Info Pages
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:

In '54 the Mayfair was now called the Pacific, but the same rule applies. The Pacific is the Hardtop Coupe. The Convertible is the Packard Convertible Couple (not the Pacific Convertible).

Wouldn't that be Convertible Coupe?

Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:27
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hey whats and extra 'L' between friends! Fixed..thanks ;)

Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
It's all cooL Kev!

Posted on: 2010/1/12 17:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Nice research on those 51-54s, Kev. I tried to incorporate subtle little distinctions and variations like that (between both adjacent models in the same Series and same model with prior Series) when I was composing the Gen'l Info texts for the 55-56-57-58 Model Info pages.

The "Patrician 400" moniker only got split up come 1955, perhaps because they built the hardtop on the same 127" wb that year (rather than on the 122" wb in years past). Still, you'll hear people refer to the '55 Senior sedan as a "Patrician 400". Yet, when I had my old '55 Pat for sale, someone called, thinking it was a "Patrician 400" hardtop.

Then, I once saw a 56th Series Senior hardtop pull into an all-Packard show with "The Four Hundred" script plates on the trunk and "The Patrician" script plates on both front fenders. The owner kept referring to it as a "Patrician 400". Now, before anyone starts speculating that this car was some sort of factory one-off concept or customer special order, I'm more confident that it was a complete front clip transplant froma Patrician that was accomplished at a time when the correct new sheet metal could no longer be had. The factory just build make more Patrician - hence, more of those available as donors in the years that followed.

I also recall that someone had installed a complete '55 Clipper front-end on a 54th Series convertible. Though not authentic, it made a very attractive Clipper convertible that Packard should have produced.

Hopefully, the Model Info pages will help keep enthusiasts striagth on what's what.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, I think your understanding of the 1951-54 Derham vehicles, both regular and long wheelbase, is correct and supported by everything we know.

Just as an aside, when I was reviewing the history of Derham in www.coachbuilt.com, I saw something I'd missed inthe past, one of their very last commissions was a formal sedan conversion of a Corvair. Wonder if it still exists?

Posted on: 2010/1/12 19:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
I am interested in registering a 1953 Packard Formal with Packard Information. My neighbor owns the car, she and her late husband owned three Packards, a 1937 120 convertible, she forgets what the second was, and the Formal. They decided to keep the Derham as it "was the most fun to drive". It has been garaged since 1981 with 54,133 miles on it. The car is complete, not missing any parts or trim. It has been sitting with a tarp over it for the twenty eight years, there is rust perforations through the left head light area, drivers door area and the trim is pitted. No rodent damage or collision damage.

Her late husband's mother was a Packard (cousin to James Ward and William) which was what motivated him to start collecting Packards. There is even a handwritten reply by Mr. (Enos?) Derham to the late owner regarding the Formals which I have attached.

1953 Packard Derham Formal
sn 2652 3149
engine sn L6xxxx6
Paint scheme X Trim Code 01
Ultramatic transmission, PS, PB, PSeats and windows, power antennae and signal seeking AM radio.

I plan on pulling the plugs tomorrow and see if the engine turns by hand and then proceed from there, checking the electrical with a six volt trickle charge and then six volt battery charger. If that checks out, I plan to get it started, pre-oiling and getting oil pressure before I try starting it. Of course the fuel tank and delivery will need to be cleaned out and checked out.

Could you please tell me how many other 1953 Formals have survived? I have only seen images of one restored Formal. This car will be put up for sale soon.

Thanking you in advance for any information you might have on the Formals.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.38 KB)
2260_4b68dbe9ab46a.jpg 1280X548 px

jpg  (110.68 KB)
2260_4b68dbfb93b4e.jpg 988X1280 px

jpg  (46.48 KB)
2260_4b68dc0acb29e.jpg 988X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/2/2 21:14
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only 1953 Derham formal I'm aware of was the one for sale in the late 1960s at Vintage Car Store in Nyack, New York. Asking price then was a very hefty $10,000. It was black, original paint had a fair amount of damage from nesting pigeons. Some mouse damage to the very elegant interior. Could this be the same car?

Posted on: 2010/2/2 21:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
No, this car has been in Buffalo its entire life. I plan on posting photographs of it tomorrow.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 21:31
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Stephen,

The official production count on '53 Derham Sedans I believe was 25. That is 25 Patricians sent by Packard (factory) to Derham for conversion. Not sure if any additional ones were contracted at the Dealer level or post-sale.

There are a few pictures of '53 Derhams in the photo archive here. I know there is a restored one in Tenn, and another one in Calif. Not sure how many else survive. Perhaps the Roster keepers at PI and PAC may be able to fill in more of the gaps.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 21:53
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I do find it interesting that your VN Model number is 2652 ('53 Patrician) instead of 2653 ('53 Derham). I would think if it was one of the Factory conversions then it would have had a 2653 model number. Perhaps it was a dealer contracted conversion?

Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:00
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved