Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

7 series track testing
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Have ran thru a DVD of factory films and found one chapter concerning track testing. Thought it was interesting a 7th series ran ten thousand miles in ten days (the standard test at that time) and completed it at an average of 68 MPH. That means there had to be higher speeds on the straightaway. The same DVD has good detailes on body construction and wood.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 19:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 7 series track testing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's pretty interesting! Seems a solid counter to Pete Hartman's admonition that cars with babbitt bearings should only be driven on and off a trailer.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 22:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
68 mph average. Pretty fast. But what kind of axle ratio did they use????? Overdrive????? What was the condition of the engine at the end of the test run?????

Success of the test may have depended on having the TEST CAR set up just rite to do it.

Posted on: 2010/1/11 22:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
That's pretty interesting! Seems a solid counter to Pete Hartman's admonition that cars with babbitt bearings should only be driven on and off a trailer.

AHHHHHH!!! You have invoked "he who shall not be named", we're all doomed now!!!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/1/11 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Jim Eubanks wrote:
Have ran thru a DVD of factory films and found one chapter concerning track testing. Thought it was interesting a 7th series ran ten thousand miles in ten days (the standard test at that time) and completed it at an average of 68 MPH. That means there had to be higher speeds on the straightaway.

The Packard test track was the fastest in the world at the time. I don't think they had to slow too much, if any at all, going around those banked corners.
I'm very interested in knowing what model of Packard made the test. If it was a 734, it was certainly capable of doing 100mph, and even then, slowing down in the banked turns was probably not needed.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 8:27
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Good point West!!!
1k miles/day = 42m/h. average. So what did they really have to slow down or stop for???? Gasoline fill up maybe 3 minutes every 400 miles, Driver change, oil change/grease at 5 minutes. Tire pressure check 1 minute. What else???

Take those into account. Off the cuff guess the car only had to slow down or stop maybe 5 times in 24 hours for 10 minutes max each time.

1000 miles / 23 hours = 44 m/h

Posted on: 2010/1/12 8:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
1000 miles/15 hours = 67 mph. So the car spent 9 hours stopped or slowing down with a speed variance of about 8 mph????? I don't think thats reasonable for a banked track and serious ideal controled test conditions.. 68 mph was probably just marketing hype.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Some 10 years ago i was egressing onto I40 just 1 mile from capitol hill downtown Nashville. I was running about 45 mph when i finaly merged. At the same time i saw a 35'ish Packard sedan, cream colored, in the fast lane. He passed me at about 60 mph. Took 2 miles to catch up with him.
To my suprise he never slowed down for an interchange ramp. Running at least 60 mph i noticed the Packard had some terrific body roll going around the interchage ramp. BUT, it stuck to the road like a magnet and apparently did not phase the driver any. The ramp again curved to the right and again the severe body roll in the opposite direction.

One thing is for sure, that car would really stick to the road despite the awkward body roll. There was NOTHING hot rod about it either. It looked like a very nice original car of driver status.

If that car could handle modern interstate exchange ramps at 60 mph then a banked test track under controlled test should most easily accomodate 68 mph SUSTAINED.

So there would have been no reason to slow down below 68 mph on the track whatsoever. Or did PMCC have a puny test track????

Posted on: 2010/1/12 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
So there would have been no reason to slow down below 68 mph on the track whatsoever. Or did PMCC have a puny test track????

I highly doubt that, as in 1928 Leon Duray went 148.7 mph and the Packard Proving Grounds was thus named "The World's Fastest Speedway".

Posted on: 2010/1/12 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I have never driven one (and the last time I was behind the steering wheel of a Packard is when I was about 5 years old, "pretending" to drive!), but from everything I've read about 30's-40's-50's Packards, aren't they noted for their outstanding handling characteristics for such big, heavy cars?

Posted on: 2010/1/12 14:27
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved