Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 7 series track testing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can comment within the perspective of my 1934 Eight sedan. Yes, body-lean on hard turns is more than we're used to with later cars with lower CGs, but leaf front suspension with solid axle and bias tires and all considered, it is an absolute delight to drive. As I've reported before, I've driven it about 45,000 miles over the years and can say that the only times it's been in the least stressful is when I've been on a fast, Interstate-type highway, almost always in the far-right lane, and need to move left across several lanes for an exit or split in the road. Part of that is the lack of "punch" above 55 mph or so, and the more significant part is the limited rear vision, compounded often by the a-holes who are all-to-often found on the roads with us. I've driven the car in rain and snow, and find it's road-holding, steering and braking to be quite remarkable for it's vintage.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dGso-IJlx50&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dGso-IJlx50&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

at the 1:45 mark, you can see the Packards (Not 7th series) on the proving ground track hitting 100+mph. Scary!!

Posted on: 2010/1/12 14:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Here is more on the film. It is a 7-45 sedan being run thru the "standard car report sheet" events that require a total of ten thousand miles in no more than ten days. Film did day this one was completed in less than ten days. Also, there were several events, dragging a dynamometer car, hill climbs and stops, rough track unpaved road and acceleration tests that were part of the ten thousand miles. Of course it is stated test car is one pulled from the line and not a special car. It and the tests truly appeared to be a standard thing. As for babbitt, I drove my 26 Model T from Knoxville to Richmond VA and back (on secondary roads) for the 100 year celebration and have not had to pull shims from the rods or crank yet after another national tour last summer. I am not ready to put the Packard out on the interstate but do believe good poured bearings with high grade oil are quite durable.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
The Seventh Series 734 Speedster customers had the choice of two gear ratios 3.33:1 and 4.61:1.

The other models in the Seventh Series customers had the choice of three gear ratios 4.07:1, 4.38:1 and 4.69:1.

Johm F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/1/12 21:30
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"but do believe good poured bearings with high grade oil are quite durable."

Ok. True. But what kind of longevity do u expect to get from the engine in general??? I.E. is it unreasonable to say that nearly all engines prior to ca. 1955 (except maybe Hudson) required major overhal at 40K miles????

SO it becomes a personal judgement call. If u only drive 500 miles a year 25 mph in parades and soforth then the 40k mile longevity is just fine. It would take 80 years to wear it out.

But run 5k miles per year and a rebuild is in order every 8 years. BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

So even if we erroneously assume the babbit to be as good as inserts then the cost of rebuilding with insert conversion would most likely be recouped in 16 years NOT TO MENTION the ease of replacing the inserts IN-CAR if necessary.

SO, the babbit vs inserts is quickly becoming a 6 volt vs 12 volt type argument. It depends on individual owner demand.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 21:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Keep in mind Keith that a lot of people aren't like you and I and don't drive their cars as often as we do and I did/will again. I plan on using my cars as daily drivers and are building them as such. I would have to say that most, probably 90% or so, of original antique car owners don't drive their cars on a daily basis. For these people, 6V and insert bearings are fine. If I had a car that was mostly driven on nice days and rarely seen over 1000 miles a year that's how I'd leave it. If I'm driving it all the time, it better be up to the challenge.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 4:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved