Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

Packard5687, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Air Conditioned '55-'56 Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Maybe I should know this, but was Packard's "factory" A/C unit in the V8 cars similar to the "Mark IV" aftermarket unit in layout--evaporator in the trunk and "ducts" up the back shelf past the backlight-- or was another arrangement available.

I posted this shot of a '55 400 dash a while back, on AACA, to ask about the two square fixtures on the dash pad. Was told they were "air conditioning vents."

So, the first pic shows the dash pad with "vents" closed.

The second shows the rear window of the same car--where are translucent air tubes?

Was there a Packard AC system that routed cold air under the dash? Or what?
I'd sure like to have original AC and make it work, even if it had the big old runallthetime V twin compressor. But that big box in the trunk and those plastic tubes in the rear window are a real turnoff. Kind of robby the robot meets cold air. I'd rather try to find aftermarket like Vintage Air that would be under-dash and compact--not in the trunk.

Anyone have a slick AC system--based on original or aftermarket--that they really like and would recommend?

Attach file:

jpg  (40.68 KB)
917_4b52da2728a04.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.40 KB)
917_4b52da430d666.jpg 640X420 px

Posted on: 2010/1/17 4:37
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Air Conditioned '55-'56 Packards
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

yesterdaysradio
See User information
Hello,

Goto Time for AC. Photos of my Installation are posted.

Jerry

Posted on: 2010/1/17 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yesterday. Is "Time For AC" a website???

Posted on: 2010/1/17 9:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you would like to know details of 55-6 factory AC, check out the install guide for dealers who had to field install one.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/55-56ACInstall.pdf

55-6, everything is under the dash in factory units but dealers could also install aftermarket if they chose so probably a lot did because the factory job is a real project. Those were typically trunk units because of size. 57 Studebaker & Packard still used a trunk unit and then transitioned to the hang on under dash in 58-9 which they used till the end.

As to their operation, quite simple. The only control is a single knob which does off/on and blower speed. Once turned on the clutch engages compressor, constant temp is maintained at evaporator (cold) and degree of cooling passenger feels is how fast the fan blows. On mine, the cooling was excellent to the point of freezing you out in the front seat but a little iffy for those in the back. Usually I froze and they sweated until the car had gone a distance then it averaged out--much like today except you couldn't direct the airflow as well then.

Problem now is most compressor parts and the special modulator valve are all but non existent so anyone with a factory unit, once something happens it's a new ballgame. Find another Lehigh still working or adapt a Sanden or add a thermostat for a cycling clutch.

Posted on: 2010/1/17 9:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
That about covers it HH. I did look at the Mark IV install guide, which looks pretty much the same as the old factory trunk-mounted except for the compressor. You mentioned that the "on-off" engages and disengages the clutch. This may be a bit crude, but it still beats the common operating description I've read saying "the compressor runs all the time until the belt is removed."

Your description indicates that the pulley would freewheel until the clutch is engaged with the "on " switch. This makes sense, and relieves one of another commonly mentioned requirement to remove the belt during cold months or be forever "running the compressor."

I'd tend to try to salvage a stock under-dash unit, but it'd be hard for me to justify restoring an in-trunk unit other than as a curiousity, it's so cumbersome and affects visibility.

I wonder about your experiences with your under-dash unit and working on other components under the dash, or maintaining the AC itself. Is that a "real project" too?

Posted on: 2010/1/17 10:51
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are two field install guides on site and the Packard one in my link is nothing like the Mark IV install which was recently posted.

The older Packard up thru 54 units had the constant belt drive and those had to be removed to prevent the compressor from turning. In 55 the Lehigh had a clutch but essentially that was just to engage when turned on so the belts didn't have to be removed in winter. Wasn't really designed for the constant cycling like modern units.

Temperature control was again hot gas bypass as with older units but this time was done by a modulator valve which was fixed at around 40-45 degrees. No adjustment in use by operator like 53-54.

As to working on it, the evaporator takes a huge amount of space under dash--the glove box has to be shortened to fit because of the depth--and is odd shaped but almost full width-maybe a foot clear on left side. Air flow is different because heater/defroster also feeds into and out of that box. Needless to say, any other work under there can be a challenge. Under the hood, things relocate but probably the biggest one is the blower mounting makes working on anything back on drivers side a pain. The thread on fuel injection has a pdf file containing photos of that Exec with factory air so you can get an idea. Forget about checking brake fluid from the top.

Failure wise, I have two Lehigh compressors --one with shot valves and other with unknown issue. Valves are the typical round diecut flat metal "reed" or "flapper" type but from what I can find, NLA. When one failed, it broke apart and flooded the system with tiny fragments which also messed up the modulator valve.

As an aside, In my case have decided there are not many options to repair the Packard parts--unless someone knows someone who can make 2 sizes of valves without having to set up for a run of 10,000 each. Because of the 4 pistons in this unit, these are smaller than comparable 2 piston York and other compressors I could find valves for. A machinist friend attempted and did a commendable job with shape but didn't have a rotary table at the time so circle was crude and wouldn't work. I think I have the tools now but not the skills and he isn't around so still not a good match-although am tempted to try. Or could just make all the mods to put on the reliable Sanden with cycling clutch and have done with it.

Posted on: 2010/1/17 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks for the descriptions. I wasn't aware of a change between '54 and '55. I think there are still some under the assumption that the 55-56 units required the same belt removal... at least that's the way I've read some comments in the past.

It sounds like the stock V compressor is probably not a long-term solution. If a car is already fitted with the dash unit, perhaps a retrofit of the compressor would keep it going, or replace with aftermarket.

AC wasn't that common in the '50s or '60s for that matter, but with every puddle-jumper commuter car now having it standard, it's kind of hard to present a car as a luxury automobile without this feature. Some people don't even know that cars didn't always have AC.

It's also pretty hard to look patrician in your Patrician if you're sweating bullets, and naturally these cars get most of their miles in the nice, warm weather.

So even if it isn't perfectly original, it would seem AC would be right up there with the most desirable mods. Thanks for the info and the resources.

Posted on: 2010/1/17 12:11
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Howard, don't give up on popping out some new valves just yet.

When I worked at Avanti in Youngstown, some 20 years ago, the limited nature of that car's production volume posed some real problems.

However, we found a shop north of Akron with a laser-cutter that could read CAD files, allowing us to knock out relatively small quantities of "blanks" as opposed to having costly trimming dies made. The use of CAD files as "soft tooling" was a plus - given Avanti's trial-and-error design approach, then. Also, we weren't limited to a single shape on any given sheet of metal. However, the edges of the parts were not perfectly clean - a bit serrated, like the edge of a quarter, IIRC.

I'm neither a trained engineer nor designer, but just tossing out some food for thought. There's gotta be some machine/fab shops in your area, today, with as good or better equipment and talent that can make some pilot samples, then do small runs.

Posted on: 2010/1/17 17:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
55PackardGuy, you asked as question in your first post re anyone have a modern unit to recommend.

Several have used various hang ons and at least one member, Loyd Smith, has got an integrated under dash by classic air using original outlets. His post of components is herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=27602#forumpost27602

Their current Hurricane series is very similar and the cable control version is one I am looking over carefully if the original can't be repaired.http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/

There are pictures throughout that thread of various others. Maybe some of those guys can answer your questions as to how satisfactory or recommended one if not already mentioned.

Posted on: 2010/1/17 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
HH56,

I read your interesting account of transplanting an original type under-dash Packard AC system into your car. It would be a great "Modification" blog, as would the other AC ideas.

Couldn't help but think that some kind of two-part epoxy would be a good option for you to fabricate the vent covers. It starts quite thin, and you can vary setup time by adding a bit more or less catalyst, and the final product is tough and usually trims and sands easily for finishing. Lots of this available in Marine stores.

Also, all the discussion on that thread about blower motors reminded me of a surprise I had recently-- a blower motor in the front of the engine compartment of a '56 Senior, down low by the passenger side fresh air duct. Maybe I'm just plain iggorant, but I couldn't figure it out or remember having seen one like it before.

Posted on: 2010/1/17 23:59
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved