Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Peter Wherrett's 1956 Packard Review
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Eric: We all live on different parts of this earth and each speaks the English language a little different. What may pass for correct English in some parts of the world may not in other parts of the world such as England and the land down under.

There is one big thing that bugs me about the video and Wherrett, but that I will deal with in another thread so as not take this off course.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/2/1 18:08
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
John, I understand this. I was just giving Mal $hit.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
As well as a motoring reporter, Peter Wherrett became well known as a cross dresser - seems like strange behaviour to an old conservative gent like me! I can say that when the RHD conversions were done (not sure who did them), a "universal" steering box was mounted a little higher on the RHS chassis rail, necessitating removal of any heater as it fouled the steering column. The steering column was also slightly offset to the right under this arrangement, although it wasn't uncomfortable for driving. No power steering with this arrangement either, from what I understand. Most local cars in Australia at the time didn't have luxuries like heater, radio etc, so we were pretty much ignorant of the power options available to you guys. Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, I'm sticking with Pack-hard. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2010/2/2 0:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
. . . . I'd just like to say three words:

Aluminium, Nuclear , and lastly, Pack-ard! Ho ho! Us Ossies do have fun!

Posted on: 2010/2/2 1:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
I should think the conversions were done upon arrival here in Australia, just as they are now by companies importing American Ford, GM and Chrysler Trucks and Mustangs/Camaros.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 12:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Think they were perhaps done by Kellow-Falkiner in Melbourne, similar to how the UK conversions were done by Leonard Williams? I don't know how long the relationship existed between Packard and Kellow-Falkiner, all my info on them is from the mid-30s - is that known to you?

The only other non-US plant that assembled (from KD kits) Packards that I'm aware of (other than Packard-Canada until 1939, which was really an assembly plant) was D'Ieteren Freres of Belgium, a company still very much in the automotive business, and from what little I've read they did only a handful, and all LHD. They had a very, very longstanding relationship with Studebaker assembling from KD kits for the lowlands market, and also assembled VWs in Belgium. They were in the 20s and 30s a very high-end coachbuilder noted for work on Minerva. I assume you can Google them and find their current involvement in the auto industry.

If that car can be seen, I'm still curious how they handled the defroster without the conventional heater.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 12:29
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
Owen, I have a couple (have to check) of Kellow Falkiner ads from the 20s. probably right though, a well established dealer could likely do conversions.

March 1st 1924 is the earliest reference to KF, I imagine they were there from the start of aussie sales as they did (maybe still do) sell Rolls Royce vehicles.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 3:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I am fairly certain that the RHD conversions were done in Detroit. If you look at the inner dogleg of the body on a LHD there is no hole for the RHD throttle control lever to get to the Twin Ultra. Whereas on the RHD version, the hole is there and has the same colour body deadener as the rest of the body. The conversions were the same as from the post-war 21st Series through to the 54th Series and beyond. It got a bit screwed up in the 55/56/57/58 Series but I have looked at a lot of 55/56 Packards ( must get the Politically Correct pronunciation). I am convinced that the RHD conversions were done in the US, on the production line. I remember in 1968 going to a wrecking yard North of Melbourne which had more than 50 low mileage "trade in" Packards. Every one was RHD Clipper or Custom, No Packards, none had power steering, power brakes or torpedo tube heater. Kellows were not interested in doing conversions and I spoke to their Service Manager in 1968 and he did his apprenticeship on Packards. They were well and truly "orphans" by then and they were worth nothing in the used car trade. They all went for scrap of course, except for the set of rear brake linings I purchased for $5. best regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 6:53
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Peter, thanks for your observations and insight into the RHD V8s, its valuable information. I can only ask, where were you about 8 years ago when I was advertising widely for information on the RHD cars? I had committed to researching and publishing an article on them, but the lack of sufficient response led me to abandon the project.

You may very well be correct about the V8 RHD cars being done in Detroit, after all they did them there from 1939 when the Canadian plant closed thru 1954. The only fly in the proverbial ointment is why then did they also commission Leonard Williams to do them in London? The 48-54 parts books does list various RHD parts, but I've never found such a list for the 1955/56 cars which led me to believe that they weren't done in Detroit - perhaps it was a separate listing that just hasn't come to light. In 1954 Service Counsellor Vol 28, #4, only shows the Clipper models available in RHD, and this seems to also be consistent with what we know to date about the 55/56 models.

If you come up with any further information along these lines, I remain interested and still think its very fertile ground for some research and publication, but this time by someone else.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Scope 55's and 56's:

Since only clippers were converted to RHD then it somewhat begs the question as to why only Clippers.

What difference would there be in converting a Clipper to RHD as opposed to converting a Packard????

Note that the Clipper and Packard V8 engines set about 1.5 inchs further to the the right of the frame to accomodate steering gear clearance for the LHD cars. Wonder how that impacted the RHD conversions. Even less room for steering gear on RHD.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 11:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved