Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 197

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Peter Wherrett's 1956 Packard Review
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5bD3FDPtUqY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5bD3FDPtUqY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Short video, but on the interior shot, the Steering wheel is shown on the wrong side of the car. It must have been a mix up in editing.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 19:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Peter Wherrett's 1956 Packard Review
Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
That 1956 Clipper is Down Under in Australia, hence the right-hand-drive conversion.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Thanks for posting the video. I don't think there was any mistake in the editing of the video. If you take a close at the end of the video you will see it is right hand drive indeed.

The fellow talking about about Raymond Loewy and the design of the last true Packard's is full of of cow manure.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/1/31 20:08
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
One thing I've noticed about Aussies and Englishmen is the tendency to pronounce Packard "Pack-ard". It's one bloody word ya bastards!!

LMAO!

Posted on: 2010/1/31 20:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Interesting! I've studied the RHD Packards quite a bit over the years and the only RHD V8s I'm aware of were converted by their London dealer, Leonard Williams. There is a roadtest of one of these on this website somewhere. They did not have the under-dash heater because it was in the way of the steering column, but they had the underseat heater, don't know what they did for a defroster. Also to my knowledge only a couple were converted, all Clippers.

ECAnthony - was that RHD conversion done down under, or perhaps is this one of the Leonard Williams conversions? if you know. Any details about the heater/defroster arrangements?

Posted on: 2010/1/31 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Alright fellas, I know there was no problem with the editing, just a joke for my Aussie & English friends to nail me on (boot, Bonnet & all).

I wish there was more to the video, it sounded like it might be an interesting one. Peter Wherrett had quite a life. He was a race car driver, and auto journalist.

I do like the way they say "Pack-Hard", it sounds so....distinguished.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 20:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
portlandon wrote:......Peter Wherrett had quite a life. He was a race car driver, and auto journalist.

I do like the way they say "Pack-Hard", it sounds so....distinguished.
Don,

In the Peter Wherrett link, click on 5 Personal Life. This caused quite a stir when it became public! If I remember rightly it was even shown on TV.

And there's a Peter Wherrett connection with Wade's '34! It was road tested by Peter for his TV show long before Wade bought the car. I'm just speculating, but there might even the footage of it in some dusty vault just waiting to be re-discovered.

At our National Rally last year there was a proposal to change the pronunciation/spelling of Packard to Pack'd, or maybe it was to Packerd, so instead of us Aussies saying Pack-Hard it would sound more the way you guys say it Pack'd! Everyone went away to think about this with a view to re-visiting the proposal at this years Rally on Kangaroo Island. Should be interesting to see what the consensus is after being given 18 months to think about it! That said, the guy who proposed this is a noted jokester so I think it'll just die a natural death.

And concerning RHD V8 Packards, I'll keep my eye out for any here in Oz and report what I find. See that in the Packard Owner's Registry that Packard Downunder's '56 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan was an "Original Australian delivered car through Kellow Falkner in Melbourne.". Maybe he, or some of the other Aussie PackardInfo members with V8's, can provide some insights. Although from what I can see the other Aussie V8's in the Packard Owner's Registry either remain as LHD or were converted to RHD after their import to Australia.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 3:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
At our National Rally last year there was a proposal to change the pronunciation/spelling of Packard to Pack'd, or maybe it was to Packerd, so instead of us Aussies saying Pack-Hard it would sound more the way you guys say it Pack'd! Everyone went away to think about this with a view to re-visiting the proposal at this years Rally on Kangaroo Island. Should be interesting to see what the consensus is after being given 18 months to think about it! That said, the guy who proposed this is a noted jokester so I think it'll just die a natural death.

PROPER pronunciation of the word Packard is found here, done by all but the Aussies, albeit with the word "Hewlitt" first. Still, it gives you an idea of how normal people speak the word.

Even the gentleman from India has it correct, and they suffered from British indignity for over 200 years. (So you'd think the results would be tainted, lol)

Posted on: 2010/2/1 4:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Eric--the local NBC affiliate "Local 4" has a roving reporter, an Englishman who is cameraman and commentator all wrapped up in one flexible, fast-moving package, his schtick is called "the nightcam" and he can be found on the scene of any gunfight, horrific car crash or building fire that takes place just before the 11:00 PM news. About one night a month we find him at the "Pack-Hard" plant "on Detroit's east side" covering falling debris from the body bridge, or the usual monthly big fire on one of the upper floors. I have become quite used to that pronoucation by now.

let's go to film:http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/19703856/index.html

Posted on: 2010/2/1 9:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
It looks like a factory conversion to me. Note the nonstandard hubcaps.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 11:28
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved