Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (166 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

unusual '56 Color "Flamingo"
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I'm told that there was a color available - towards the end of the '56 model run perhaps? - called Flamingo, which, as can be imagined, is a shade of pink, and which does not show up in any color chip books. Anyone aware if this is correct, and does a car exist in this rare color? How would one duplicate the correct shade if there is no chip extant?

Although my goal is as correct a restoration as I can make on my Exec, I'm not above at least considering changing color to another one that's a bit more unusual while still correct for the year, and with a gray/black interior it's relatively easy to make a change.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 15:32
 Top  Print   

Re: unusual '56 Color "Flamingo"
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't answer the question directly but in prior years, especially 1954, they did small batches of cars in non-stock schemes to test public reaction. The most well-known of these is perhaps the 1954 Amythest/Carnation combination applied to Pacifics, for which they used a special paint code letter on the VN plate not previously used; for 1954 I seem to recall it was "R" which stood for a non-stock color but not a specific one, i.e. regardless of the non-stock color it was indicated as "R".

So if a 55/56 car was so painted at the factory, I'd expect the paint code letter to be one not already used, like "I" or "O" or "U" or "W", or maybe something like "WW". Of course if an actual car in this color can't be found, this may be near impossible to track down by the usual routes.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 15:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Inline with Dave's comments, they also had a special painted '53 Carribean (nick named the Scarlet Lady) which was done a one off for the styling department. It was painted Valencia Orange. Pictures of this car were taken at the PI Meet this year and last, and are in the Archive.

Obviously since this was a one off styling excursive, it never appeared on a paint chip. But it's a very "General Lee" orange.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 15:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Yes, they made a flamingo color and I believe a long thread on this was discussed a few years back on the AACA forum. I had one of the cars and found one of the original fender skirts from it last year.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 16:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And all this time I thought Packards were a conservative lot with nothing wilder than Rose Quartz or Amethyst. Now to find they had pink as well brings the obvious questions: how much pinker is it than the color they used on the Dodge model I think was called the LaFemme and any chance you still have the skirt and can post a picture.

EDIT: Gerd, that flamingo picture is priceless and deserves a permanent place here. I could almost see some old gal decked out like that trying to attract someone half her age.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 17:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Memory says Joel (Packards1) posted a pic of two nuts that were "Flamingo". How about it Joel?

Posted on: 2010/2/9 17:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Am trying to upload a pic of a spare wheel that came with the 56 Exec that is alleged to be in the Flamingo color

Attach file:

jpg  (67.31 KB)
2116_4b71e1c9cea76.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/2/9 17:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
It would look pretty spiffy with gray or black 2 tone and the gray & black interior, I do believe. It's certainly a very '50s color, in any event!

Posted on: 2010/2/9 17:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Flamingo color code is "O". As in the letter O.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 17:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Thanks. And Gerd - thanks for digging up the link to the AACA thread, good info there including the known Flamingo cars - only 5 or 6 ... I'd like to see an actual car or pic of a car in that color so I can get a true idea of the look of it.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 18:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved