Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 232

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How and why was the name 'Clipper' chosen by Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Does anyone know the answer to this?

Posted on: 2010/2/13 22:34
 Top  Print   

Re: How and why was the name 'Clipper' chosen by Packard?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
At one time (1800's) the fastest way to travel from the east coast to the west coast was by Clipper ship. They were very fast for their day. Even today Clipper artifacts are coveted by collectors in that venue. I believe Packard just borrowed the name as did Pan American Airwayshttp://www.flyingclippers.com/panam.html
who sued Packard for using the name. I don't know the outcome but S/P was still using the name thru 1958

Posted on: 2010/2/13 23:21
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
All I could find on this is on page 494 of the Beverly Rae Kimes History of Packard where it states "Skipper the Clipper" coaxed the sales dept.

It's enough perhaps that it's basic design was by Howard "Dutch" Darrin who came up with a small model in 4 days.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 23:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
IIRC, One of the books mentioned the suit was dropped by PanAm when Packard died because they figured they were not going to use the name any longer and S-P had no money to be had if they won anyway.

Posted on: 2010/2/13 23:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I recall reading someplace that in 1941 military associations with names and images like the Clipper being illustrated with uniformed Naval types were considered a positive sales tool in that time of defense preparation. You also had the Olds "Dynamic Cruiser" and the like at that time, and lots of ads stating what the auto companies were building for the military.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 15:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Maybe Packard came up with the Clipper name from a defunct automotive company. The name may have come from an automotive company called the Clipper Autocar Company which was located in Grand Rapids Michigan.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/2/14 18:53
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't think it's coincidence that the name Clipper came along for the junior car line the same time the name Pan American was chosen for the show car.

EDIT: Oops, it didn't, did it. My foolish error. I was thinking of the revivial of the Clipper name in 1953.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 19:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved