Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Electric Fuel Pump
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Look for a recommendation on a 12v- fuel pump. This pump will be mounted back near the tank on the inside of the frame-rail and used for priming purposes (or to overcome vacuum lock if needed) and hooked to a momentary switch that is hooked to a switched 12v source.

Basically I need to find an electric pump that will still allow the mechanical pump to pull through it when the electric is off. Pump only needs to be like 3-4psi rated. I would imagine a rotary pump would not work, so perhaps an impulse style pump?

Also a recommendation on fuel filter that will go before the electric pump to safe guard it, and the mechanical pump. It would be nice to have a transparent filter body, but not sure if that is appropriate under the car.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 20:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Electric Fuel Pump
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 2010/2/19 20:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I just worry about those thin plastic body filters up underneath the car.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 21:17
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, I've seen installations of back-up electric pumps installed by a couple of folks here in NJ; they use the plastic filter, mount the pump on the crossmember just forward of the tank, and then build a little sheetmetal shield to protect the pump and filter from the elements. A couple of sheetmetal screws and the shield comes off to service the filter and/or pump.

EDIT - pulse pumps, Kev. These installations are not meant for function as the primary fuel pump, just for emergency.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 21:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thats a good idea Dave. Any idea which pump they used?

Posted on: 2010/2/19 21:32
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC about a year ago HH56 and others posted here in this forum an e-pump circutry as u request. Maybe do a search for it.

As for the see thru filter u can use the one in the pic but just make sure u put a stone gaurd around it. Maybe a piece of rubber heater hose that will slide over it and can be slid off for inspection.
I's prefer a glass bowl type like used on the carb but securely mounted to a bracket. Stone gaurd. glassbowl is ez removed. carry extra gaskets.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 21:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The original mechanical pump can pull thru a pulse pump. It cannot thru a rotary pump. I bought mine at Advance Auto - a local chain. I did buy a pressure regulator on ebay and although it had a built-in filter I placed one inline before the pump. On the Caribbean I mounted it just in front of the tank where the frame is a "C" channel before it gets boxed in. It is surrounded by a homemade metal shield held in by one screw into the frame. I mounted the pressure regulator at the high point of the frame kickup in the rear. Memory says I set it about 4.5 lbs.

Posted on: 2010/2/19 22:12
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Randy do you know what brand/model it was?

Posted on: 2010/2/19 22:42
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information

Posted on: 2010/2/19 23:35
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hey Kev. I have a plastic see-through filter under my 53 and haven't had any problems so far. I have it tucked above the leaf spring on the driver's side so its out of the way enough that I don't worry too much about it getting hit with debris, etc., but its still fairly accesible so I can change one out pretty quick (takes me 3-5 mins depending on weather conditions and swearing).

Posted on: 2010/2/20 10:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved