Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 165

William Grosz, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: '38 tranny to 53 patrician, will it work?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

monypenny07
See User information
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the great info. To answer some questions, my friend that owns the 38 does not have a computer, thus I am doing the research for him. I first found this site when hunting for the motor serial #'s for him and that list was a great help. One seller had the wrong info listed and we were able to discern the real motor in his car. My friend wants to have a bit more horsepower in the 38 so the 327 from the 53 patrician would be perfect if it will bolt on to the tranny from his 38 without too much stress. He is pretty good with rebuilding. He already has a 30 model A, a 47 buick roadmaster, a 45 Dodge truck and a 70 chevelle. I wanted to ask him about posting his info in the registry before doing so and I have pics of the car as well, so will let you know. He saw the car for sale out in the country and inquired about it but it was already spoken for. So he left his # just in case and low and behold, 2 wks later got a call that it was still available!

The 53 has an automatic but he would really like to have manual transmission in the 38 when finished. Hasn't bought the 53 yet and its in NC so need to decide this week if its worth going to get it. So its great to hear from Peter that he has done it and that there is instructions for doing so.

Again, thanks everyone for all the great tips, I will be forwarding all this info later today so hope it all works out!

Posted on: 2010/2/22 9:45
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 patrician 327 into a 38 with manual tranny?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

monypenny07
See User information
Hi again,
So it was brought to my attention that I screwed up in the subject line of my thread, so sorry for the confusion. So to clarify - my friend has a 38 packard w/manual transmission, wants to put a 327 from a 53 patrician with automatic tranny into it but keep it stick shift. Will the 327 motor bolt onto the manual tranny of the 38? Or do we need to get a conversion kit? It was mentioned that there is a procedure somewhere on how to do this but I couldn't find it.
Sorry again for the confusion and thanks for the help so far!
This site is going to be great help once he starts putting it all together!
C

Posted on: 2010/2/22 20:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
monypenny07 wrote:......Will the 327 motor bolt onto the manual tranny of the 38? Or do we need to get a conversion kit? It was mentioned that there is a procedure somewhere on how to do this but I couldn't find it......
No need for a conversion kit as such but you will need a manual bellhousing, flywheel, pressure plate, etc,etc from a 288/327 to make the conversion to suit the '38 trans. These should be reasonably readily available. As I stated earlier I think the '38 should bolt up to the 288/327 bellhousing. I think we need Peter to expand somewhat to fill in the details and point us in the direction of the "procedure" Pete?

EDIT - Added link to Peter's '38 with 327

Posted on: 2010/2/22 21:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, As soon as I can get my scanner working I shall post an instruction from Packard on fitting the 288 motor into the pre-war 120 ( back to 1936). The tech instruction was raised when packard decided not to continue supply of the 282 motor. Packard opted to supply the 288 motor for fitment. It is the same block but different stroke to the 327. Then you bore the 327 out 0.0625 to approx 340 and shave a late model 288 head to get around 200hp from a 185 hp OEM set-up. There is a bit of a "massage" to the firewall and a relocation of the bolt holes on the trans X member and that is about it. I also moved the radiator about one-half inch further into the surround to facilitate fan belt removal. Also the Packard Tech instruction was predicated on a front mount 288 engine not a side mounted 51-54 engine but this is no big deal. I shall provide details as soon as i get a bit of time. Best Regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 2:27
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
g'day all, good news and bad news,
Well to start with, Peter Packard has the Tech instruction but it was faxed on thermal paper in 1991 and has gone white ( I shall try to iron it, which is apparently the cure ) Other good news is that the Tech instruction also covers fitting the later Sixes back to 115C. I actually collected the originals in 1975 and have asked John King from the Victorian Region ( a mate of Pepe -Fred Dosser) to fax me a new copy. the procedure was promulgated in a letter from the Packard Export Division on 23 November 1949 "to all Distributors" and was in conjunction with Service Letter 49/34 dated July 19, 1949 . "with the installation of the 288 engine for replacement purposes on the Right hand drive clipper and older models to and including the 1601 models". I may have been incorrect in taking it back to the 1936 models, but I recall some historicaol dialogue on it and it could be done. Best Regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 5:30
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

monypenny07
See User information
Thanks guys for all the info. Please don't go to any more trouble until we decide whether or not to get the 53 or not. You've done enough already, this gives me great info to pass on to help make the decision.
Thanks again for all your input, you guys are walking encyclopedias! lol

Posted on: 2010/2/23 7:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Peter Packard wrote:.......the Tech instruction also covers fitting the later Sixes back to 115C. I actually collected the originals in 1975 and have asked John King from the Victorian Region ( a mate of Pepe -Fred Dosser) to fax me a new copy. the procedure was promulgated in a letter from the Packard Export Division on 23 November 1949 "to all Distributors" and was in conjunction with Service Letter 49/34 dated July 19, 1949 . "with the installation of the 288 engine for replacement purposes on the Right hand drive clipper and older models to and including the 1601 models"........
Peter,

Interesting that this procedure originated from the Export Division. Was it also promulgated in the domestic US market? If not, this leads me to think there might be other specific "procedures" for export Packards. And from there, are there other letters or service letters for export models which may contain other gems of Packard wisdom?

EDIT - On further reflection, with Packard promoting this "engine swap" does this mean that early Packards with later Packard engines will now be viewed as kosher?

Posted on: 2010/2/23 17:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
In all seriousness, your friend should stick with the stock engine.

This swap is interesting to talk about but way too much trouble and unnecessary. The stock engine has plenty of power.

Remember we are talking about one of the most powerful cars on the road at the time, well able to keep up with modern traffic up to 70 MPH or so.

Don't let the advertised horsepower fool you. Don't think "Oh it's only 120 HP" or whatever.

The horsepower of the old motors is quite different from what you get in say, a 120HP 4 cylinder Honda.

The old long stroke motors do not have a high advertised horsepower but they have a strong powerband practically from idle speed. This allows them to idle down to a walking pace in high gear and pull away without changing gears, and accelerate smoothly up to 80 or more.

In other words if the motor is in good shape, its over the road performance is a lot better than the advertised horsepower suggests.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 23:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Rusty o Tool wrote: "Remember we are talking about one of the most powerful cars on the road at the time, well able to keep up with modern traffic up to 70 MPH or so."

Only if it is geared to do so. Most of the cars of this time were not. Taller gears or overdrive are one way to get any of these long stroke engines regardless of 38 or 53 to keep at modern highway speeds.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/2/23 23:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I would agree with Rusty and Jim with regards to sticking with the stock engine, although I would still take approx 150 thou off the head to take the compression to around 7.25. With standard gearing of 4.54, a 38 Six is doing over 3,000 rpm at 60 mph. I would be more concerned with getting a 4.1 rear end and getting the revs down. My 38 Six runs 2,200 rpm at 65mph with a 4.36 (120) rear end and an R6 O/D. But the standard motor will pull almost as well anyway, you will only feel the difference on the hills . Just soup it up a bit if you have to work on the engine for some reason. Best Regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 0:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved