Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Paint or Powder Coat Rims?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kev, I haven't repainted a car since acrylic and nitrocellulose lacquers were in vogue, and know almost nothing about modern paints. But I do know that several prestigous restoration shops here sometimes eschew lacquers for single-stage in solid colors and can achieve an appearance which approaches closely the appearance of the best lacquer jobs, and of course gives the advantages of the modern paints. But they have noted that you shouldn't do it with a metallic as any buffing or wet-sanding will leave bare, unprotected metallic flake surfaces to oxidize, tarnish and leave sites for corrosion. True or not I don't know, but it sounds logical. My 56 Carib was done in single stage for the 2 solid colors where I wanted a finish like the original lacquer without the "hot rod" gloss, but the lower Roman Copper Metallic was done in base coat/clear coat which was then finely wet-sanded to again give the surface gloss of lacquer. I'm overwhelming satisfied with the results.

Attach file:

jpg  (125.64 KB)
177_4b87e2aca0ef6.jpg 1280X631 px

Posted on: 2010/2/26 10:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
awesome looking car dude!!

Posted on: 2010/2/26 13:04
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Cli55er you may be a little misinformed. Acrylic paints, lacquer and enamel, became available in about 1955. From that time on factory applied paints were nearly as durable as today's in some cases more durable.

The base clear is mainly an appearance advantage. It was first used on luxury models.

A straight paint job will not look as glossy as a base clear job but will look good if clean and waxed.

Car makers recommended waxing the finish every 6 months for best appearance, and to protect it. If this was done the finish would last indefinitely.

If not maintained the paint would get dull and wear out after 10 or 20 years.

This is considerably longer than a base clear will last. I have seen them peeling and looking like hell after 5 to 7 years if left outside and not waxed. The old straight enamel or lacquer, under similar circumstances, would be dull but not peeling and would shine right up if washed and polished.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 20:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Good point and well-said, Rusty. Though some colors and metallics in lacquer don't age as well as others, they can still be very presentable even after 75 years. Though my 34 has had some selected repainting here and there, the main body tub is still original Packard lacquer and has held up quite well. There is a bit of crazing over the lead joints in the roof, but relatively minor. Those areas that were repainted, fenders, hood and metal spare tire covers, were done in nitrocellulose lacquer 30 years ago.

The one HUGE advantage of painting with acrylic or nitro lacquer is that they are amateur-friendly!

Attach file:

jpg  (52.82 KB)
177_4b887bd6b4667.jpg 600X400 px

Posted on: 2010/2/26 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Powder Coat if possible. Pics represent; what was and what is to be!

Attach file:

jpg  (108.89 KB)
20_4b88b00dbefb0.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (84.98 KB)
20_4b88b0d12279c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/2/27 0:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved