Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 215

CarFreak, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Off topic--I'll be appearing on "A Prairie Home Companion" tomorrow
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
Hey John,

I caught the show on the way back from America's Packard Museum Winter Weekend. It was great to hear you in front of the home town crowd. I've been listening to PHC for 20+ years and now I can say I know one of the celebrities

BTW - It was great to see some of the Motor City Packards folks this weekend.

Posted on: 2010/3/1 9:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

JT120 wrote:
...One of my favorite PHC episode's involved a Parade and a 37 Chevy septic tank. Wish I could find a link.

This story is one of my favorites too. It was in one of his earlier books, "Lake Woebegone Days" I think, but I do not recall for sure.

John, missed the show on Saturday, but listened to the replay on Sunday while working on my Clipper. Enjoyed the show and your music. Thanks.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/3/1 11:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Quote:

JT120 wrote:
...One of my favorite PHC episode's involved a Parade and a 37 Chevy septic tank. Wish I could find a link.

(o {I} o)

John, I listened to the show and really enjoyed the music!
It must be a Minnesota thing. At a small town car show I attend in northern Minnesota there is a parade also . One of the parade paricipants drives a septic tank truck. The people riding on the truck throw rolls of toilet paper at the spectators as the truck moves along.

Posted on: 2010/3/1 12:49

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
John,

Absolutely magnificent! You are a very talented individual and so very fortunate to have the opportunity to showcase such ability on a grand instrument in a top notch venue.

While in Southern California for the Packard's International Membership meet a few weeks back, my wife, I, Flackmaster, and other friends of ours that meet there took a tour of the Nethercutt Museum. They have (as you may be well aware of) a wonderful Wurlitzer that was played for us on the tour. A treat beyond explanation to see and hear in person! There is also a Wurlitzer here in Mesa Arizona at Organ Stop Pizza. I understand it is the second largest in the world. Do you ever come west to perform?

Congratulations!
Jim

Posted on: 2010/3/1 23:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Jim, I am talking to the people at the Nethercutt Collection about doing a concert at San Sylmar in 2011, I'l be sure to put up notice here. I'll be in Atlanta GA on March 21st, that is at a private home, seats about 60 people, I might squeeze in one or two more. In April I'll be in Rochester NY, playing with a local Jazz combo in a concert setting. Then June 6th I'm off to Boston (Groton MA) for a concert, another with a Jazz combo. That is going to be a great trip, the owner of the instrument, Garrett Shanklin is also a car guy, he has stanley Steamers and Early RR cars, Silver Ghosts and such, so we always have lots to talk about. In August I'm going to the UK to play for the Cinema Organ Society's convention, my first concert appearance in the UK. Talking with the Aussies about 2011.
Thank you to all for the compliments and great feedback on the PHC show, it was some of the most fun I've had in ages. Garrison Keillor is the guy you hear on the radio, a great gentleman.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 23:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
John,

Maybe you could schedule the Nethercutt performance around the time of the PI meet late January / early February 2011. Either way, my wife and I would be VERY interested in attending. Please do let us know.

Posted on: 2010/3/3 23:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Now that's a gret idea, I have always wanted to make that meet. I'll suggest it to the folks @ SS, but it's their call.
I know the guys at Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa, Lew Williams is an old friend, Charlie Balough is an older friend!
I played a week-long engagement there in 1985, when the restaurant was on Southern ave. before they sold the land to the hospital and moved, that building and organ were a fraction of what they built at the new location.

Posted on: 2010/3/4 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Mr PB (aka. John),

I caught the PHC show from Deeeee..triot city and enjoyed the acoustically-HUGH Fox theatre organ. It reminded me of being in the Fox theater in St. Louis Missouri as a kid. Those old theatre organs are more rare than Packards.

THEN, I found your 'off topic' thread and enjoyed hearing the show even more. Just knowing that a genuine Packard PushButton man was at the console 'pushin' the buttons is quite an "encore."

Thanks for the off-topic and the performance. Nice to know Packards are not your only obsession.

DanL

Posted on: 2010/3/4 13:37
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
John,

Thanks for playing the Faygo jingle. That really took me back. Must be a Detroit thing. Let me know if you're ever playing in the Chicago area.

Dezi

Posted on: 2010/3/4 16:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved