Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Caribbean 2X4 Air Cleaner current value?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I am in the process of having a Caribbean 2x4 air cleaner restored and painted. A local Packard owner saw it in the body shop and is pressing me to buy it. I really hadn't considered selling, but just was wondering what a perfect specimen is worth these days.

How about 2x4 intakes - what have they been bringing lately?

Also, a moment of silence in memory of Steve Williams. He was my go-to-guru for many things Packard V8, but especially the 2x4 carbs. Miss you, Steve.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/3/2 11:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Caribbean 2X4 Air Cleaner current value?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jack, the 2x4 air cleaners that I've seen for sale in recent years have been in complete but only "fair" condition and have been sold in the $850-$1200 range. Several complete assemblies including manifold, both carburetors professionally rebuilt, air filter and linkage and fuel lines, beautifully refinished and ready to install, have been offered at Hershey for the range of $5000 and up. I don't know if actual sales were consummated at those asking prices. Don't have any information on current offerings of just the manifold itself. Of course the carburetors themselves and both different for 1955 and 1956, front and rear, and are unique to the Caribbeans.

EDIT - and yes, many of us will miss Steve, I had numerous very pleasant dealings with him over the years. Nice that his 56 Carib convertible has found a new owner who is lavishing much care on it.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 11:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
For pricing estimates use eBay COMPLETED listings. They only go back 30 to 90 days or so. Mite not be any on there rite now. I use the completed eBay litings quite often to research various values.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 12:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
OK, not original "bat wing" air cleaner, but if one had a Caribbean 2x4 intake, one could use air cleaners like this:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/3/2 17:36
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
those prices listed seem to be right jack. i'm still try'n to come up with a 2x4 intake so i can finish the greendragon's "as raced" restoration. problem is the people who have them are not willing to let go of them right now.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 1:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
those prices listed seem to be right jack. i'm still try'n to come up with a 2x4 intake so i can finish the greendragon's "as raced" restoration. problem is the people who have them are not willing to let go of them right now.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 1:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
problem is the people who have them are not willing to let go of them right now.

Conversely, one might say, "Those seeking to buy one are not offering enough money right now."

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/3/10 11:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Recognizing that Empire Motors has had some issues with respect to customer satisfaction, but at one time they or the previous incarnation of that company offered repro 2x4 manifolds for the V8 Packards. I don't know if any were actually made, and what the price might have been.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 12:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
he still in fact offers them. i contacted him when you mentioned that on my first thread when i posted that i was looking to buy one. he offers them in alum or cast $1350 either way.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 21:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
That sort of establishes the current retail pricing for the 2x4 intakes. Now, we just need to find someone who has seen and/or better yet, installed and used one from Empire.

Wonder how he offers a choice of iron or aluminum? The differing shrink rates of the two metals usually require different patterns.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/3/11 12:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved