Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: How to Bench Test a Starter?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
There used to be a trick we used to test starters, once you get the connections right, the solenoid pull-in terminal figured out and you can operate the starter you can take a piece of soft pine, like a piece of 1-by and force the end of the board against the rotating Bendix gear. IIt will sort of function like a chipper-shreader, but it is an accurate test by loading down the motor as is works. Some starters will spin free OK but the minute you load them down they poop out.

Posted on: 2010/3/6 23:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have a bad battery. It will not hold a charge. It will spin the engine for a few turns with the spark plugs removed, but then poops out. As you can tell from other threads I am on the hunt for a new battery before doing anything else with the starter.

I used a remote starter switch connected to the carburetor switch to operate the starter (ignition key on). The starter works in the conventional manner too from the inside using the gas pedal. I think owners of Packards with these carburetor switch starter system know about this, but doesn't hurt to post it again.

'nuf said.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/3/7 12:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Friends

Maybe I wasn;t clear. The air system in the Winton is organized like an ignition system or a mechaincal fuel injection, the air goes where it is needed in the firing order to spin the engine.

Winton also utilized offset crankshafts- the centerline of the crank is offset from the piston so that the con rod on the power stroke is moving straight down, not at an angle. ( " Wintons add power to gasoline") This may answer your question

Delauney-Belleville in France ("The Car of the Czars", I bet they didn;'t use that slogan after 1917!) used compressed air starting. The parlor trick was to start moving the car in gear on the air until the engine caught. Dead silent take off, unlike some of the cruise nights around here....

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2010/3/7 22:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The offset crank is known as Des-Axe. If u google it u'll find it's for easy starting of hand or leg cranked engines. Desaxe is still used today in small engines and was not uncommon during the prewar era among several manufacturers..

Posted on: 2010/3/7 23:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Air starters were used on Divco milk trucks as late as 1970 and also used on other fairly modern commercial/utility vehicles.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 23:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Guscha

Yes. there is some kind of air distributor between the air tank and the pipes going to the individual cylinders. It's been about 18 years since i saw that car, but I rather imagine it must be related to the mechanical fuel injection timer on a not so old Mercedes.

I don't know who invented the air starter. Alexander Winton was pretty clever and held over 100 patents : He helped Henry Ford out a lot as he saw Ford was talented and determined. Later on he became very involved in diesel engines. Winton Diesel was sold to GM in 1924 and became the basis of their Detroit Diesel Division. As Packard cable was sold to GM and became part of Delphi, there is s rough symmetry.

Unfortunately Winton is best remembered for his spotty customer service that lead to the rise the Packard motor car. I have first hand experience the family is still pretty sensitive about it

Regards

john Harley

Posted on: 2010/3/8 22:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gerd, an absolutely fascinating video. The steering wheel/column starter is most interesting dual use of one component. I do have to ask one thing, though: If this is the answer, what was the question? Let me venture a guess. A way to get an engine to start and run in extremely cold temperature situations without having to rely on a battery or an ignition system?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/3/9 11:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The offset crank is known as Des-Axe. If u google it u'll find it's for easy starting of hand or leg cranked engines. Desaxe is still used today in small engines and was not uncommon during the prewar era among several manufacturers..

This is still done today to silence piston slap. Except now they offset the wrist pin in the piston.

The last engine I know of with the crankshaft offset was the Ford flathead V8 although, there are probably others.

I don't know when it started but I have seen a magazine ad for a luxury car from about 1913 that included it in a list of features.

Posted on: 2010/3/9 17:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved