Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

DM37, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

5587 Ultramatic Shift Linkage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
The adventure today related to getting the shift linkage adjusted for the 400 and holy smokes! One again, who ever had this car of mine ahead of me should have been shot! (I guess that's a bit over the top?) Anyway, the connecting rods and Z-shaft were 'monkeyed' with to the point that nothing aligned correctly. Too bad I didn't take pictures, but the Z-shaft assembly was put in there in such a way that it hit against the floor body. Also, one of the rods was been a full 30-35 degrees of what it should have been. I figured all that out when the entire linkage from the parts Patrician was removed, compared and installed into the 400.

At this point, I now have Nuetral, Drive-Low & Reverse, but just can't seem to get park located. As I have a small leak at the shift shaft seal, I wonder if not finding Park has something to do with the transmission 's internal condition?

At this point, now I'm WAY OVER MY HEAD in further knowledge about how to find PARK, I'd so appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Many thanks.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 19:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 5587 Ultramatic Shift Linkage
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IIRC there is some STB or SC that deals with a problem of this nature. It details some change to the lever on the side of the trans.

Another diagnosis is to crawl under the car and disconnect the linkage from the lever on the side of the trans and move the lever thru all detents. Since park is park then u should be able to find park and twist the drive shaft to be sure park has been found. That will eleminate any suspicion of Internal trans problems.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 20:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2010/3/7 20:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks for that link, i found the part about the U-joints to be particularly interesting, especialy since mine apparently was shipped the wrong way because when i took the driveshaft out i took a pic and the lock washers were installed under the nut instead of the bolt head. i was going to install them the way they came off the car....but now i know and i will switch the lock washer around.

sweet thanks!

Posted on: 2010/3/7 21:00
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The SC detailing the linkage change is Vol 30 #1. If your car still has the original 55 pieces and someone tried to modify those, that could be part of the issue as would be mixing 55-6 pieces.

The inner lever however is a known source of problems as it is pot metal and the threads holding the single screw tightening it to shaft is easily stripped. Once it loosens and starts moving, then similar issues to yours can happen. That might bear looking at.

Believe there are only 5 real detents that you can feel from the control valve: P & N use the same, then Left triangle, R triangle, Low and Reverse. Park essentially leaves the control valve alone moving it only slightly due to the geometry of inner linkage but moves a spring loaded roller assy in position to push the park pawl into mesh with the park gear. The roller springs and a stopping pin on the pawl are also known issues on 55's.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 21:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Ultramatic Dynamics sells a parking pawl for 55s which relieves most of the "PARK" problem. Not sure if he also makes a new pot-metal piece for the inner lever or not.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 22:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved