Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 150

JD in KC, 58survivor, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Paint Chips
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Does anyone have a correct engine paint chip-esp the green?
Bell Green? If possible pls scan and attach?

Posted on: 2010/3/22 8:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Paint Chips
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure what year and engine you're inquiring about. If a 22nd or 23rd series (1948-50), all should be gray with the possible exception of the very early 22nd series 356 motors which could have been green. The correct gray or green in a high temp engine enamel can be obtained from Bill Hirsch, Kanter Bros, Max Merritt, and possibly others.

I suppose you could find (non-engine) paint in a rattle can at the hardware store that approximates the gray, but the green was rather distinctive. I would really recommend buying the engine enamel in the correct colors from one of the above sources.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
to resurrect an old topic, I've seen what I believed to be original car/original engine 288's in green as well as gray.

But to the first point, don't try to match paint from a scanned chip - it's not even close to accurate.

I have had very good experience with the engine enamel mentioned - I think this is a good place to pay a few $ for an existing solution. It might be workable to match the gray, but I've seen generic green paint jobs and if you encounter another Packard you will immediately note the difference. The correct color is a gray shade green without much yellowmore of a sage - it looks nothing like 50's Olds V8 or Duesy greens.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I have a 47 super clipper which has the 356 engine with a couple of different paint colors. Both are close but interested which is correct. I have seen pics of the 356 with same slightly different green colors. Then I checked the web sites and no one has a color chip-but describe it like the "Bell Green" which makes me wonder if the Kanters etc know what the stuff is suppose to be. I am always a bit leary of Kanter anyway. Thus the reason for the post.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Which color is correct? If the pic comes thru?

Attach file:

jpg  (54.13 KB)
2011_4ba7adcb7b6d6.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/3/22 12:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Pushing aside for the moment the problems inherent in color photographs and PC monitors, the block looks correct and the water pump looks incorrect, but there is a lot of uncertainly in viewing colors this way. Pretty much regardless of who you buy the paint from, they all come from the same pot. I often get mine from Kanters but have also bought it from Bill Hirsch - same stuff, same color.

Packard engine green is correct for a 1947 Packard.

Posted on: 2010/3/22 13:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved