Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 228

R H, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

My 16 YO Son Starts 29 On Hand Crank
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
My sixteen year old son Alex hand cranks the 29 for the first time. Granted the engine is warmed. he does get to drive it as well. Just something fun to share with other Packardians.

BTW, Don't blink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JmoAfKM-Po

Posted on: 2010/3/25 18:20
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Re: My 16 YO Son Starts 29 On Hand Crank
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Neat! Do you retard the spark a bit before cranking? I understand that it's an accepted practice to do so.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 18:42
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Steve Mackinnon
See User information
Wow - looks like around a quarter of a turn - very cool. Glad to see he is doing it properly also - if a Model T or A can break a wrist I am sure a Packard could as well!

Thanks for sharing!

Posted on: 2010/3/25 18:56
Steve Mackinnon
1939 Packard 120 Sedan (sold)
1940 Packard 110 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
On the T we retard all the way. Packard? Never has been a need to. Just a quarter turn pull up as observed. When she's cold, it's a different story. Somewhere around there I think I have a video up of a cold hand crank start.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 19:09
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE FLAMES COMING OUT OF THE STACK< YOU ARE NOT RUNNING TO YOUR FULL POTENTIAL.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, my 34 Eight does have a crank in the tool kit, but I sure hope I never need it. I think I'd rather hope that if the need arose, I'd be parked on a hill and jump-start it. But still, it is nice to know it can be done!!

Posted on: 2010/3/25 19:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
Owen, this car is amazing to start on hand crank when warm. i was once in a competition against a model T. I could (1) run around the car twice and use electric start or (2) hand crank it and run once. I am lazy so I hand cranked it, ran once and and got in. The look on the T people was a Kodak moment if ever there was one.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 19:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Paul - I can almost see that! Many years back a regular feature of auto shows would be a cranking contest where folks would line up their cars, dicker with spark and throttle settings, and then retreat to a start line. At the bell, run like hell, start the car and drive to the finish line. Occasional women participants as well. It was a great event. And no compression starts allowed. I wonder how many on this forum know what a compression start is?

Posted on: 2010/3/25 19:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Paul_K
See User information
Compression starts? We have had some luck with those on the T.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Good technique except he should get in the habit of holding his thumb on the same side of the crank as his fingers, not wrapped around the crank. A backfire could break his thumb.

I know this is extremely unlikely but why take chances. Also the grizzled old timers will be impressed.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 23:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved